Didn't see that coming..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnowCamo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yesterday I found a couple scrap 1/2" steel plates laying around the shop. I thought these might let me see the shot impact a little better than on paper.

I set them exactly 200 yards out and fired away. Out of curiosity went down to see what kind of mark it left. I was floored to see it had punched completely thru it.

I was shooting my Weatherby .257 Wby mag with 120 grain factory partition loads. Does this surprise anyone else or is it to be expected and I can blame it on my inexperience to shoot steel?

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mild steel is no match for a high velocity round like the Wby Mag. It would have to be hardened (AR-500) to take a hit like that.

I just ordered some of these from "shootingtargets7" in 8in last week, they were delivered Saturday in the mail. He uses AR500 to make them, and I am sure my mailman was not too happy about the "one size stuff it box" he delivered.

I am anxious to give them a try in a few days. Good luck finding something that works well for you.
I found what I was looking for at:
https://shootingtargets7.com/store/gongs/1-2.html

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Against mild steel? Not sure if serious?? Ballistic tips will punch a hole in mild steel too.

Well maybe we didn't know what kind of steel we were shooting at. It looked like just a scrap piece of irregularly cut steel. I'll have to check and see if he still has it. I know he found it on a construction sight, so we(I) assumed it was soft.

Latest posts

Top Bottom