Dish Network and OU/OSU/Thunder Games

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gecko77799

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I currently have Directv and am looking to go to Dish for a few reasons that aren't important here. Can't (and don't want to) go to Cox due to living in rural area. I'm looking at the top 250 package and NOT adding extras like the sports package. http://www.dish.com/entertainment/packages/americas-top-250/#channels

I could use the input of those of you who do have Dish in the following areas:

1. OU/OSU/Thunder Games/ Big12 Games - For those of you on the Top 250 package or lower do you find yourself not able to see the aforementioned games more, less or the same as your other friends on others like Directv or Cox? I know sometimes FSN has like 10-15 regional channels and with Directv we get several by default on our current package but I don't recall how often those games are exclusively (if at all) on FSN. In case you didn't notice FSN is the big hang up here since the normal sports channels are included in the top 250. Btw I'm not worried about games that aren't televised at all of course.

2. Your experience both good and bad with Dish.

3. Is the protection plan a must or is it one of those things you really don't need bc they will do a service call anyway without charging you if your signal goes to crap or your receiver frys?

Please don't turn this into a pissing match between Dish/Directv/Cox. I'm just trying to make a decision on the above criteria. Thanks in advance.

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had Dish for several years.
1. We have the Top 250 package and our neighbors that have Direct don't seem to get as many of the games as we do on Dish. Also the outdoors channels are on our Top 250 but not their Direct.
2. Our experience for the most part has been good, but don't even expect to get TV if it is storming.
3. Never had the protection plan and our receivers did get fried in a lightning storm. Dish did replace them but only after I told them to cancel our plan and I was going with Direct. We just got HD TV about 3 months ago and Dish was giving us a huge run a round on the system getting installed. I finally told them we would keep our old system and went to a private company in Stillwater that will install Dish or Direct. This is the best move you can make. DON'T even contact Dish if you are thinking about going with them, instead go thru a private installer that can get you much better deals and do all the install as well as the maintenance. Ours got our HD put in without any increase in price. All we had to pay was 100 dollars for the install. No hassel and no BS...Hope this helps.........VIKING

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just looked and the company we went with is Star Scan of Stillwater. Privately owned and he will get you a better deal since he can sell you either one. Very nice and ours got installed in 1 day.........

gecko77799

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good to know. With Directv I normally don't have issues with the weather unless it's a really bad storm but if it's one of those even the over the air seems to digitize and go out too. Is it pretty much any storm for you too or just the bad ones?

By using a third party installer isn't there another contract you have to sign with them on top of Dish....just like if you buy a cell phone from a 3rd party like Best Buy or Wirefly where there's a second ETF you have to pay with them if you do cancel?

I've had Dish for several years.
1. We have the Top 250 package and our neighbors that have Direct don't seem to get as many of the games as we do on Dish. Also the outdoors channels are on our Top 250 but not their Direct.
2. Our experience for the most part has been good, but don't even expect to get TV if it is storming.
3. Never had the protection plan and our receivers did get fried in a lightning storm. Dish did replace them but only after I told them to cancel our plan and I was going with Direct. We just got HD TV about 3 months ago and Dish was giving us a huge run a round on the system getting installed. I finally told them we would keep our old system and went to a private company in Stillwater that will install Dish or Direct. This is the best move you can make. DON'T even contact Dish if you are thinking about going with them, instead go thru a private installer that can get you much better deals and do all the install as well as the maintenance. Ours got our HD put in without any increase in price. All we had to pay was 100 dollars for the install. No hassel and no BS...Hope this helps.........VIKING

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nope, no contract. The only difference is we pay Star Scan for the install instead of going thru Dish. After he got the equipment set up, he called Dish, put my wife on for all the pass word stuff and then he took the phone and had them set up our system. If we ever have problems we plan on calling Star Scan and not Dish. It's much easier to do business with someone from Stillwater who is local. Once again, no third party..Maybe you should just call them and talk to them..We went thru Dish for our HD and after 3 weeks of cancelled installs I told them to screw off and I called Star Scan....It was in and running the next day.......

Latest posts

Top Bottom