Disposal of a junk gun as an FFL?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twmaster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a busted up old .22 rifle dirt cheap. It will have to go on the books for my C&R FFL as it is being shipped to me.

I only bought this to get the barrel and front sight for a project I want to do this winter. The receiver is trash. What are the rules about disposal of a junk gun and the associated records in my bound book? Actually, I'm more concerned about the book keeping aspect. I can make sure the receiver is total junk and gets into the right recycling place.

Thanks.

FAL guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We saw them into multiple pieces, with the serial number still intact, and take photos. We then update the logbook entry as destroyed and place a copy of the logbook page and photos in our "Destroyed" file.

thefenux

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Call your local ATF agent. I've heard stories about them supervising the destruction of broken firearms before. Either way, they should be able to tell you what needs to be done.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe the only rule is you have to put it in your A&D as destroyed, but you'll want to keep record of it actually being destroyed with pics and I'd keep the gun pieces. Since I'd keep the pieces anyway, I'd just keep the frame intact in the book in the bottom of the safe so they can see it if they do an inspection.

gaseous maximus

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
About 8 years ago an agent, Matt Wren, while doing an inspection of my records, saw where I had destroyed several firearms, and told me that the correct procedure was to cut the receiver into 3 pieces. I had used an Electric Welder, cranked up high. But, that was then, this is now. I would think it would be good advice, as stated, in previous posts, to ask an agent and get a written, signed reply if possible, take pictures, and at least, keep the part with the serial no. bunch of B.S. isn't it?

Latest posts

Top Bottom