DIY muzzle recrown?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A crown job at most gunsmiths isn't going to be very expensive, and it'll probably improve your accuracy noticably.

As for counterboring, unless the rifling is worn near the muzzle, it isn't necessary. The cleaning rods used on older military rifles were always steel, and many soldiers did not know to be careful with the muzzle. This resulted in an out-of round crown with some damage to rifling possible.

Though it isn't historically correct, an 11 degree recess on the crown protects it from a multitude of future problems.

I am comfortable with lots of DIY on guns, but when it comes to crowns I think it's best left to the pros. YMMV

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did it on my Garand. Brass screw chucked in my cordless drill with fine valve lapping compound. Continuously move the drill around to keep it even. Sprayed the bore out with brake cleaner when done. Took a burr off and brought my 100yd sandbag rested, open sight, HXP ammo groups down to 2-1/4".

Not ideal, but ok for a worn out barreled rifle.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
i think the brass bolt i got is to big. it wont quite get down to the lands and grooves. might need to get a smaller one.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a steady hand and can do some tiny Dremel work ( engraving, polishing bolts and metals) but I wouldn't touch the crown with one. There is that 10% chance of it hopping and that's too much for my tastes.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The best advice I got from a real gunsmith ''and don't ever take a dremel near any gun!!!!!

That is good general advice, but, there are reasons. I took a Dremel to a couple of rusted guns. One was a TC Contender barrel.

I had it stored in a drawer in a TC box and a mouse got into the box and I guess it peed on my barrel. There was a large patch of thick rust. I took most of it off with steel wool and it was pitted rally bad.

I used a Dremel with some Cratex wheels to the pits and the entire barrel and cold blued. Still looks like crap but it is better than it has looked since the mouse got into the box. It works so well I tried it on another old revolver and it looks better too. I would do it again but only on low value guns.

Latest posts

Top Bottom