DIY Safe Lighting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just finished adding lights to a new safe for a friend, used something I hadn't before so thought I'd share. All the stuff came from Amazon, vendor "HitLights".

Red LED Strip Light, 5 Meter Spool, 12VDC, $13.99
PCB Strip to Strip Connector - 4/pk - $6.99
On/Off Switch Connector, Female DC Plug - $2.49
60 Watt LED Power Supply - $15.99

Total: $39.46 (all "free shipping")

The above stuff and a couple of hours time should be all you need to install light strips around the entire door of most safes - the strips are adhesive backed and put out a reasonable amount of light, the strip to strip connectors are used at each corner, and the on/off switch connects the last strip to the power supply cord.

He could have saved another $6 or so if he'd opted for the 24 Watt "wall wart" power supply instead of the one above that's made more like a laptop power supply.

You will, of course, still need some way to get power into your safe - unless you want to do a battery setup inside the safe - one 12v or two 6v lantern batteries should run these for quite a long time - or even 8 D-Cells in holders available from Radio Shack could be velcro'd to the side wall if you prefer that option.

This doesn't include a "refrigerator switch" to turn them on and off as the door opens, but that's not something that's particularly difficult to lash up either. Mostly I just wanted to pass this on as it's seemed easy enough and was comparatively economical. While we used red on his, I notice the same lights come in Green, Blue, and White as well as weatherproof versions at slightly higher price.

Hope it helps!

Onslow

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I picked up some of these LED strip lights last year and they are really neat.
I used rope lighting in my safe and they have actually had about half of them quit working on my second rope now.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looks great, except......

I see two empty slots on the top shelf!!!

And what is that I see on the third shelf? All the way to the left? The LEFT!!!!!

So, how do you guys do it? Attach the lighting strips to the inside along the perimeter of the safe? Cut the strips to length and connect strip to strip? Then the power supply? Are you running lights along the lower boarder also?

I noticed that you used a 60 Watt LED power supply in the first setup, but said that a 24 Watt would work. Is there a relationship between the number of LED lights and the power supply size needed?

How about a picture of the power supply set up? I like the idea of having the D-cell or 2x6volt lantern battery power supply for time when the power is off and you need to get in the safe. I've been there and it sucks.

I wish I had never seen this thread, although my interest was piqued at the FGST lunch when I heard you guys talking about it. For some reason, I see another project on my list of to dos.

Dave

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, how do you guys do it? Attach the lighting strips to the inside along the perimeter of the safe? Cut the strips to length and connect strip to strip? Then the power supply? Are you running lights along the lower boarder also?

That's pretty much it - add a switch in there somewhere, either a small toggle or a door-operated "refrigerator" type switch, or both. None along the lower border in his - the bottom material was flush with the edge of the door so no where to put it.

I noticed that you used a 60 Watt LED power supply in the first setup, but said that a 24 Watt would work. Is there a relationship between the number of LED lights and the power supply size needed

A 24 watt supply will generally power a full roll of these lamps though most safes won't use a full roll. The main reason for the higher supply was that he doesn't like wall warts, so was able to run the cord from the outlet to back beside the safe and velcro the laptop-like power supply there to run the 12vdc from it to the inside.

How about a picture of the power supply set up? I like the idea of having the D-cell or 2x6volt lantern battery power supply for time when the power is off and you need to get in the safe. I've been there and it sucks.

For Billy's we just used a pair of these mounted beside each other and wired in series, attached to the inside wall of the safe. I have a small shelf in the back of the closet with two 6v's on it - just hooked up with alligator clips then wired through a little vent hole that was in the side of the safe. Not elegant, but works fine - hunted around but couldn't find any of the little battery boxes they once made for them.

pRS1C-2160152w345.jpg

Wire from the batteries to the switch, from the switch to one end of the led strips, then from strip to strip until you've rounded the door.

I wish I had never seen this thread, although my interest was piqued at the FGST lunch when I heard you guys talking about it. For some reason, I see another project on my list of to dos.

Dave

It's fun! I learned today that not all of the strips necessarily fit all of the end-to-end strip connectors, though - so had to do a little soldering instead. Normally it's pretty much all plug'n'play.

Latest posts

Top Bottom