Do Kids Still Cruise in Their Cars?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SdoubleA

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The cruisers on Peoria in Tulsa during the late 70's got pretty insane. We went a couple of times. Cars that never saw the street, only the strip were hauled out to the parking lots and unloaded for one or two trips down the strip. The sound was deafening. Everything was just fine with LEO as they had everybody confined in one area, and could control the situation.

***********Unfortunately some gangs showed up, petty theft, intimidations, muggings, vandalism to businesses, and finally shootings, etc started happening on a regular basis so they shut it down. Sad, it was a great party.

And that was only part of the reasoning behind me swapping for the .45s. I quit cruising T-town shortly after that, too any punks, too few real cruisers anymore.

cal7.62x39

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The cruisers on Peoria in Tulsa during the late 70's got pretty insane. We went a couple of times. Cars that never saw the street, only the strip were hauled out to the parking lots and unloaded for one or two trips down the strip. The sound was deafening. Everything was just fine with LEO as they had everybody confined in one area, and could control the situation.
Unfortunately some gangs showed up, petty theft, intimidations, muggings, vandalism to businesses, and finally shootings, etc started happening on a regular basis so they shut it down. Sad, it was a great party.
Wait... there was a time people went down Peoria by choice? I call B.S.

SdoubleA

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Brookside was the place to be in T-town in the mid to late sixties for cruising. Boot's, Pennington's, Weber's all held a certain charm for guys and gals out and about. In the fifties we had Cotton's, Norman Angel's, and several other long gone but not forgotten places to pull into and watch the carhops do their thing. Tulsa had its moments, but for many of us, one couldn't beat the small town Saturday night cruising along the 66. From Chelsea to Stroud, adventure lay in store for those brave souls and their trusty steeds to roll through town. Never a dull moment.

Damn, I'm old.

Tripper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was mostly 59th and May in the late 70's, still have a small dent in my 67 stang from a baseball bat, AFTER I roasted some dude in his camaro,
Van Halen, Rush, Pink Floyd,

Same, but early 80s, 71 cutlass when I was 16 then had a cobra II, Did 59/may, turning around of course by going through the theater lot, down to maybe what western, lots of turn around s that direction, Then over to 12th street in Moore, sonic to somewhere, and occasionally Midwest city air depot, turned around at sonic of course
There was a stereo place like n. Meridian it seems that had 'loudest stereo wars', they'd get into the cars with their little meters, gave away prizes, alpine and kicker was the stuff then
Then we also still had the record places, warehouse records I think, about that time is when 96X KXXY Rock station went off air, and played 'your the reason god made Oklahoma' for like 3 days straight. Then became a country station after

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom