Do teachers "really" have it that bad???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those same teachers that are attempting to educate students that don't care, are producing honor roll students.s.

Some of them are and they deserve more money and the ones that aren't don't. That's my point , just because you have the job title doesn't mean everyone with that title deserves the same pay

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
I disagree. As I stated earlier, education funding has been an issue my entire life.

I believe that management of funds needs to be addressed before we through more money at the problem. There are too many school districts in Oklahoma. There are dozens of districts with fewer than 500 students k-12, these districts need to be combined where possible to reduce redundant facility and admin expenses.
It is not just districts, inside districts the number of schools need to be limited. In Lawton, we have three high schools and 4 middle schools, we could consolidate schools and reduce the number of administrative and support staff that is needed. We could still have three high school buildings, but all one Lawton high school. I am not sure why we have curriculum experts, when we have department heads in each building. I could go on and on, but it would not make a difference.
The state needs to make it illegal for districts to create testing systems, when the state eliminated the test.

Pokinfun

Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree that teachers are underpaid and OK heavily relied/relies on OIL and GAS.. we all know how that world is right now. The point I was going to make is the months worked. I knew quite a few teachers and most had summer jobs (painting comes to mind) to supplement their income. Don't know these days with length of school year and always talking year round school. BUT it is a chosen profession with a union. My sister in law has a Masters in Math and science but went into the education sector = bad move when had several other HIGHER paying options. Bottom line is there are so many so called solutions, that there won't be one = politics. Teaching is a calling and you know the $$$$ going into it. As for unions... my SIL changed districts after 15 years and started back at square one. Thank you union and school districts. She also taught at night at OSU/10th and Portland, for extra bucks. Just rambling with no answer. I retired from Higher Ed IT a few years ago and for several years the only way to receive a raise was to get a job title change with obviously a higher salary range. Don't know if there are jr/sr teachers or all money and titles controlled by Union = strictly seniority.
Power to teachers like Jeff. Hang in there!
teachers in Oklahoma do not have a Union.

Pokinfun

Special Hen
Reaction score
Those same teachers that are attempting to educate students that don't care, are producing honor roll students.

You're going to have to get parents to admit that their kids are little shits before a behavior standard can be enforced.

Like I said, place the blame where it belongs.
you cannot have a behavior standard, it would eventually violate federal civil rights laws, just ask OKC Public Schools.

psimp

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
teachers in Oklahoma do not have a Union.

Thanks for the knowledge.... For some reason I thought OK had Teacher Union ... because MANY years ago I "thought" there was a vote on which union to go with. Obviously many brain cells have left me over the years. Did they try and then vote NO? And makes sense or Should/would be more $$$. There was a time and place for Unions, but I think the time is long gone. Was Union most of early 70's and it pretty much sucked. You could be busting butt and the guy/gal next to you might do 1 thing an hour and NEVER help you because they didn't have to. Apologies for posting incorrect info...

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for the knowledge.... For some reason I thought OK had Teacher Union ... because MANY years ago I "thought" there was a vote on which union to go with. Obviously many brain cells have left me over the years. Did they try and then vote NO? And makes sense or Should/would be more $$$. There was a time and place for Unions, but I think the time is long gone. Was Union most of early 70's and it pretty much sucked. You could be busting butt and the guy/gal next to you might do 1 thing an hour and NEVER help you because they didn't have to. Apologies for posting incorrect info...

Most pay their dues to Oklahoma Teachers Association, there are some hold outs though.

Pokinfun

Special Hen
Reaction score
Most pay their dues to Oklahoma Teachers Association, there are some hold outs though.
a lot use POE because they do like NEA. POE is $252/yr OEA is $464.00/yr for dues. The only reason I am a member of POE, is you get a lawyer for free if you get sued.

Professional Oklahoma Educators is a non-union, nonpartisan professional association for all school personnel. Members receive professional liability insurance, legal services, and lobbying representation. It is our commitment to these basic principles that makes POE a positive and unmatched option for education employees in today's teaching environment.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Right, but to see the forest for the trees you have to look at the bigger picture. Our percentage of education spending may seem high but our revenues just aren't high enough to offset that percentage, especially now. Either way, what's your solution? Knock it down so we are 50th on the list? Maybe entice all those college grads from our state with a <31k salary? Oh and all those school supplies for your kids you pay for/raise money for? Well now you get to buy the PC for your room. Oh wait.... that already happens.

Let's just up our spending everywhere else on the budget and that 40% figure won't be a problem anymore!

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Or how bout we get the .gov out of the educating kids business and let people keep their tax dollars so the can send their kids to a private school of their choice.
The private sector always does a better job ,always

Latest posts

Top Bottom