Do teachers "really" have it that bad???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From another post off-topic dicussing teacher salaries:

Working 9 months out of the year, their salaries would translate to market levels if you add in the other 3 months they would be earning in another job that was 12 months per year. Maybe I "just don't get it" but every time there is extra money it seems to go to the teachers and the perk of having the summer off is overlooked. My aunt & uncle are retired teachers (one was a principle by the time he retired) and they lived better than I do looking back...they had a lake place in their early 30's, bass boats, 4wd, nicer house than I lived in by the time they were late 30's and that was with 2 kids...Now in retirement they live a dream at 2 separate lake homes...I do remember my uncle used to trade and do odd jobs for extra money sometimes in the summer when he'd go up to the lake place to fix it up and stuff, but that couldn't account for the majority of how they were able to live...all the other teachers I knew were females, married to a men who made more than them so they also lived well...is it really that economically bad for tenured teachers who are in their 30's & 40's & 50's these days?

Again, I'm not being cold but considering the other state employees haven't had a raise in like 10yrs or more and they work 12 months, I just hear about how bad teachers have it like I constantly hear about global warming...if all the noise is for the single, 22yo punks right outta college whining about not making a lot of money then they should have picked another field...if a married teacher who is say 40 is making 25k or something, well then of course I'd think they needed a good raise. I think my uncle was making close to 100k or so by himself when he retired from teaching more than 10yrs ago (maybe even closer to 15yrs)...add in the aunt's salary and of course the 9months thing and the pension plan that pays out every montht he rest of their lives and I'd say they didn't get such a bad deal/life...educate me if I am off-base.

THEY EDUCATE OUR CHILDREN. If you question salaries.....don't you think there are other battles to pick?

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
a huge number are not teachers, and many are not quality

All three of my children graduated from an Oklahoma high school. 2 were valedictorians and the other salutatorian. 2 graduated from OU, 1 at the top of his law school class. The other graduated from the University of Alaska.

When they graduated teachers were making even less yet not whining about it like they are now. So I'm not seeing how your argument that they need more money is somehow gonna make them all be quality teachers. But continue on and beat that drum if it makes you feel better.

Quantity doesn't always equal quality.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
All three of my children graduated from an Oklahoma high school. 2 were valedictorians and the other salutatorian. 2 graduated from OU, 1 at the top of his law school class. The other graduated from the University of Alaska.

When they graduated teachers were making even less yet not whining about it like they are now. So I'm not seeing how your argument that they need more money is somehow gonna make them all be quality teachers. But continue on and beat that drum if it makes you feel better.

Quantity doesn't always equal quality.
Dude, I am doing my best to have an adult conversation about an important topic.I understand that you have an agenda, and will not hear anything that does not agree with your agenda, so have a good night.

Last edited:

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most primary and secondary teachers work 60-80 hours per week, from the beginning of August until the end of May; and then June and July is part-time work (e.g., taking care of stuff from previous year, continuing ed, preparing for next year, etc.). Some work less than that, and some work more than that, but that is the norm. Most college professors work 60-80 hours per week, year round. It's way more work than it would seem, and nobody does it for the money...most people teach because they love helping people and having impact on people's lives.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
THEY EDUCATE OUR CHILDREN. If you question salaries.....don't you think there are other battles to pick?

Your response is typical of this board; I bet you didn't even read my post...I am not saying they make too much, I am getting answers to form a better opinion. So far, it would appear that the noob teachers do pretty well but the teachers who have been at it awhile need the raises; the ones who have paid their dues...that is where my opinion is leaning. And again, if academia itself hadn't been complicit in the breakdown of the family, then some of these 40k teachers could do fine if they married someone who made the same or more than them and only had the number of kids they could support. I think say having a total family income of 100k with one kid and 2-3 months off in the summer wouldn't be so bad?

None the less, as a tax payer I think we could give the teachers who've been teaching awhile a raise with lotto money, or from wasteful spending such as OMES, but I don't think they need to raise our taxes...as mentioned, they knew what they chose. The new teachers start out higher than I did with a bachelor's, it just appears once you get to the 10yr mark, it could stand to be higher if they were a good teacher.

Most primary and secondary teachers work 60-80 hours per week, from the beginning of August until the end of May; and then June and July is part-time work (e.g., taking care of stuff from previous year, continuing ed, preparing for next year, etc.). Some work less than that, and some work more than that, but that is the norm. Most college professors work 60-80 hours per week, year round. It's way more work than it would seem, and nobody does it for the money...most people teach because they love helping people and having impact on people's lives.

I am learning, evolving, open-minded...(but since you mentioned higher education, I still say academia has had an impact that isn't always positive :) Thanks for educating me none the less

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
having impact on people's lives.

Sadly, some not only prefer to teach the curriculum, they choose to subvert the students with their biased political views.
As we all know, and I've proved it in another post/another thread, liberals dominate in the college teacher/professor field.
College age(18-22+) is the time in a child's life where they can be most taught because their minds are at the point where they can be molded.
The Military molds those minds for exactly the same reason. The military has to take a child and make it into a killing machine in 11-14 weeks.
Its intensive 24/7 mind indoctrination, similar to colleges.

chadh2o

Gunslinger
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How bout some maff

Salaried working stiff
365 days, 52 weeks, 2 weekend days, 7 national holidays, 2 weeks vacation (10 working days)
365-104 (52×2)=261
261-7=254
254-10= 244 days worked for 95% of salaried people

School Teacher
Contract is 180 days, +5 prior to school year beginning, +3 after school year, +3 extra
180+5+3+3=191 days worked

Difference is 53 working days (not calender days)/5 working days per week is 10.7 weeks difference.

My wife's public elementary school teaching salary including benefits (health insurance, pension, ect) was $46,233 in 2016 (17 years, masters degree).
46,233/191= $242.0575 per day (242.06)
242.06/8 hours (8-4)=$30.25 per hour

Now let's add the 53 day difference.
242.06 x 53= $12,829.18 + 46,233= $59,062 salaried worker equivalent

I asked my wife if she would rather have her time off or the extra 12g's. What do you think she said? What's interesting, after doing this little ditty, my income is in the park.

Now if you think a salaried worker only works 8 hours a day, no weekends/holidays, and cannot be fired because?, you need to try it.

Nearly all of my wife's teacher friends love what they do AND like their time off. My wife wants NO part of what I do for any amount. We each have our niche, so enjoy what you do.
As far as time spent working on a daily basis, start your own business, become your own boss. There is a reason 90% of small businesses fail in the first 3 years. Most don't realize the time and sacrifice it takes to make it go, and then still fail.

(Boy oh boy, my neighbors yard sure is greener than mine)

Flame away, I put on the asbestos, so gtg.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Podman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If they are in it for the money, go to where the highest salaries are. We have to have a balanced budget and whatever it is is what it is.
There's only so much tax money available and education is just one sector. So tough luck whiners, deal with it.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Everybody has heard from thier youth that teachers have lost pay. They know that going in. It is a calling for some. So I have no sympathy. Like somebody else posted. You don't hear about the firefighters or cops complaining about thier pay or at least it doesn't make it to the media. Most firefighters I know have second jobs or thier own business. Anybody that wants more money needs either more hours or another job. End of story.

The only reason these guys get any attention is because they belong to one of if not the largest Unions in the country.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
THEY EDUCATE OUR CHILDREN.
according to national statistics it would appear they aren't doing a very good job of it.If I was number 48 out of 50 at my job I wouldn't be asking for a raise I would be expecting to be terminated

Latest posts

Top Bottom