Do you clean primer pocket on .556 reloads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you clean primer pocket on .223 reloads?

• Yes

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • No

Votes: 5 35.7%

• Total voters

Glockdoc75

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just seeing if everyone cleans the primer pockets on .223 or .556 when reloading. I always do but I'm also loading on a single stage press. I recently purchased a progressive loader for handgun ammo and it works great but I don't have an opportunity to clean the primer pockets with that. So, I haven't noticed a difference in reliability when not cleaning the pistol primer pockets. Would it make that much of a difference if i skipped that step with the .223? Thanks

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not a very good paper puncher for whatever reason.
Don't have the patience probably. In my game, it's about getting a hit in the shortest length of time and moving on to the next target.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yea I do it.
PITA prepping brass.
I am all about accuracy so I have tried many ways to cut corners and it just does not pay off.
After primer crimps are removed.

Decap and then pin tumble with my copper pins.
Let dry then anneal the cases.. then brush the necks and then lube and FLS the cases. Minimal shoulder set back.
Trim and then chamfer the mouths with VLD chamfer then brush one more time.

Then measure the neck inside diameter.. if there is one out of spec it is set aside and will not be used 1/2 a thousandths is out of spec for me.
Yes I am anal i suppose.
During load work up I shot a 300 yard 3 shot group from my Savage Axis pencil barrel 223 that had 2 bullets in the same hole and 1 low to make the
group measure .800" center to center at 300 yards.
I went back another day and shot in windier conditions and got a 1.6" 3 shot from the same 300 yards.. 2 next to each other and 1 shot low to open the group.

Top of the car was used for a rest.. with a front bag only.All FC cases and they are mixed cases.. different dates etc..

There may not be an accuracy improvement in the primer pocket as long as all primers get seated the same or close.. do not need one sticking up you know.

I would say if your gun shoots 1.5-2" at 100 and that is the best it has then minimal case prep would work fine.

Attachments

• 300 yard .223 001.JPG
    300 yard .223 001.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 177

Owlcreekok

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes. Always have (on all calibers) and always will, with ONE exception. When I first began reloading, many winters ago, I only loaded .38/.357 & .45 acp. I knew no better on so many things it now gives me the willies to think of some of the things I did in my ignorance (as if I am fully over that,,,,not). I would load .38 cases until the split was so far down the wall it would not hold a bullet. The primer pockets would get so cruddy the flash hole would block and the primer would not seat flush. I cannot prove it, but I strongly suspect that some pocket crud retained enough moisture to spoil a fair amount of loads for me during those early days. Either that or I had a large lot of CCI primers that were bad. I swore off CCI primers for a couple decades because of that.

Case prep is something I happen to be strange enough to actually enjoy. That bit about me is why all but one attempt to use and like a progressive loading machine has failed. I had a Lee 1000, a Dillon RL 550B and an RCBS Green Machine. Still half owner of the last one, threw the first one in a dumpster after five years of fighting it and sold the Dillon almost as fast as I got it set up. Hated that blue thing. I can't use a progressive because I am too anal retentive about case prep and primer installation. Furthermore, I do not trust ME, much less a machine. I wish all this were not so about me, but it is, so I plug merrily along. :)

Tcox

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I feel like if you're just looking for plinking ammo or ammo for inside of 400yds you won't notice much difference. Where I have seen differences as ES and SD on your velocities. Basically clean consistent pockets help with less vertical stringing at long range.

I do clean for my DMR loads but for anything meant for CQB it's a useless gesture in my opinion.

Latest posts

Top Bottom