Do you enter controlled/draw hunts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okieshooter777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have entered a few years ago in some draw hunts, but did not get drawn. Are they worth entering, How often do you get drawn? What are some of the better ones to enter, for deer?
I want to get me and my wife entered into some for next year.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Controlled hunts are a joke. I have never known anyone that has been drawn and you should not waste your time. The more people that apply just lessens your chances of being drawn, so I wouldn't even bother if I were you. :)

Absolutely they are worth applying for IMO. $5 for a bonus hunt someplace that you would not normally get to hunt? How can you go wrong? And like most other people, I at least apply for the elk hunts. Nothing would make me happier than to take an OKLAHOMA elk, more so than one from Colorado or New Mexico. I have been applying for the last 10 years or so and have been drawn for two deer hunts. Better hunts... not sure on that one, it is all a matter of personal choice. The ODWC will print out all of the statistics of the previous year on how many applied for what hunts, success rates, etc. This may help improve your odds a little.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been signing up for controlled hunts since the 70's.
Hunted Salt Plains many times, along with Big Mac, Osage Western Wall, Hickory creek, and packsaddle.
Its the luck of the draw, but you can get preference points for the next season if one does not draw out.

okieshooter777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
there are so many to choose from. Lexington is close to home, but i have not heard of many deer taken from there. Any, you guys would recommend entering that has a good chance of getting drawn?

TerryD

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
we have gotten drawn 3 out of 5 years, I think if you have multiple hunters you chances are better. and the year you dont get drawn the preference points help. we try to put in for hunts with the most tags.

Weatherby

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
we have gotten drawn 3 out of 5 years, I think if you have multiple hunters you chances are better. and the year you dont get drawn the preference points help. we try to put in for hunts with the most tags.

This. When you put in with a group, preference points are all lumped together.
I've been drawn for hunts 5 times out of 7. Four of us put in together every year. I haven't always gotten on the hunt I wanted, but I'll get it done eventually.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have gone to McAllister AAP four times in the last 10? years. I have drawn some other hunts over the years too. Never elk or antelope but my brother drew antelope last year.

Latest posts

Top Bottom