Do you give money to "homeless" vagrants?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
So, on my way home from trading out units, I decide to stop at McDonalds at I-40 & MacArthur for a cool refreshing soft drink. I guess the warm weather brings a lot of panhandlers out. Anyway as I'm pulling around the drive thru, I see one sitting by the trash dumpster...

Hmmm everything is in order he has his "homeless" sign, guitar and case, duffel bag and a headband...but wait...

What's this??? :scratch:

He has a laptop and is playing on the internet. I know this because I see the air card sticking out the back. He also looks like he could double for an OKC Occupier...lol.

Anyway he must make good money being "homeless". Maybe I should find a good intersection and retire. BB will be happy to hear I've found a way to "occupy" myself ...

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nope. I tell them to get a job and if they have a valid reason for not being able to work then they need to get on Social Security Disability.

A few times I've been in a store where a woman is with her kids and it's obvious she can't afford to buy them candy or the extras they are asking for and I'll pay for them or give her some money to take them out to tyhe movies or something, but that's the extent of my "giving" unless it's to an established church or charity.

ItsOnlyMoney

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I work near I-40 & MacArthur, and I see the same people working the intersection all of the time. My computer crashed a while back, and I had to make several trips to Best Buy in one day. I saw the same guy who was standing on the corner that morning go get into his car that was parked in the Taco Cabana parking lot. He sat there & made a call on his cell phone, and was back on the corner when I passed through again.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A few times I've been in a store where a woman is with her kids and it's obvious she can't afford to buy them candy or the extras they are asking for and I'll pay for them or give her some money to take them out to tyhe movies or something, but that's the extent of my "giving" unless it's to an established church or charity.

It is nice to be nice to children.

Last edited:

870WingBlaster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw a show on TV about 6 months ago about scams and cons. This one guy said that he made 40K with no taxes taken out by being "homeless". He asked the interviewer why "why shoud he even consider a real job."

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to, but like G.C., I've seen them have things I can't afford and I work 40+ hours a week. I understand about helping someone out that's in line at the store or something, cuz that person isn't out LOOKING for the handout. The sad thing is I don't mind giving a dollar here or there but I can no longer distinguish who "needs" it and who is the scammer, so I just don't give anyone any of my money anymore.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Only you could take a generous act and be crappy about it.

I know a person who was injured 20yrs.ago, the state declared him disabled for voc-rehab and schooling. He didn't file for disability,(tried to take the high road) but instead took any menial job he could get/do while going to school and raising two children alone. He didn't get to finish school because he had to work more to make up for the child support the court allowed his ex to not pay while she collected benefits. Now 20+yrs.later he's older and more disabled than ever. Should he qualify for disability now, would you take such a case?

Latest posts

Top Bottom