Do you have to sharpen new lawnmower blades?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do, but I try to keep the original rake on cutting edge. My use is 100% residential with little to no FOD to dull blades except the errant petrified dog turd that the other half overlooks (her ankle biter, her turds!). I see the most wear on the tips and on the mulch portion of the blades. I use the Gator blades on the rider and they seem to work well at throwing the grass clippings without sucking up too much debris and accelerating blade wear.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Put new Honda blades on my mower for the first time in 17 years. The new blades did a horrible job compared the the original ones that I touched up every year. So, I sharpened the new blades, and now back to normal.

My original blades lasted so long because I have absolutely zero sand in my yard. Sand is a blade nemesis.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some spindly grass does not cut well with a dullish blade.
I sharpen my blades as needed and angle is closer to 45°

Neighbor moved and gave me his non working riding mower and non working push mower.
I drained the water from the push mower and welded the frame back together and it started up.

Buddy needed a mower and I gave it to him for free and he cut his grass with it.
A couple weeks later he called and said mower would not start.
I asked him if he left it in the rain and if it had gas or water in it.

Anyway he brought it to me and gas tank was 1/2 full of water.
Fixed that and decided to look at the blade.
My neighbor is not a mechanic and I found the blade was on upside down.

So the cutting edge was the trailing edge and this blunt rounded edge was now cutting the grass.

It cut ok but I was told he had to go over it 2 times to get all of the grass the same height.
Cuts much better now and is not kept in the rain.

Latest posts

Top Bottom