Do you load in the house or out in the garage/shed?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radarmonkey

Let's go Brandon
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Full disclosure, I'm kind of a worry wart. I looked to see if this was addressed in the one of the sticky's but I didn't see it. I have put a deposit down on my first press and will soon begin reloading. My question centers around the dangers/advantages of reloading indoors in a climate controlled environment that is carpeted (no way to remove, it's a rental) or loading outside in my non environmentally controlled garage. I'm concerned about spilling powder on the carpet and any dangers to using a vaccuum to clean it up. Will it spark and leave me with a cool new handle like "Stumpy"? Should I just load out in the garage where it might be safer but less comfortable? What do you guys do? I guess I should also add that the wifey poo wants me to load in the garage so I need to consider the happy wife, happy life factor.

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi,

I wouldn't load in a house with carpet. You get all sorts of junk, lead dust, primer dust, etc., in carpet and then drag all that around the house. This could be real bad stuff if you have little ones crawling around in it for sure. I load in the garage where I know the floor isn't so important!!

Good luck,

Alan

cernstus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually I load in both. I bought one of the roll around tool trays you see at harbor freight, bolted doubled up 2x12s to the top, bolted my square deal to that. I then put a bunch of 25lb weights in the bottom. That way when the weather is nice I can load in the garage. When it gets to hot or too cold, I lay down an old sheet in the dining room and roll it on into the house and load in the comfort of heat or a/c. When I had two presses I put one on each end.

radarmonkey

Let's go Brandon
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

I wouldn't load in a house with carpet. You get all sorts of junk, lead dust, primer dust, etc., in carpet and then drag all that around the house. This could be real bad stuff if you have little ones crawling around in it for sure. I load in the garage where I know the floor isn't so important!!

Good luck,

Alan

Thanks Alan, I didn't even think about that. We don't have kids, but the wife has a cat. Again, happy wife, happy life. If I poisoned the cat, I might have to place a roomate needed ad.

radarmonkey

Let's go Brandon
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Actually I load in both. I bought one of the roll around tool trays you see at harbor freight, bolted doubled up 2x12s to the top, bolted my square deal to that. I then put a bunch of 25lb weights in the bottom. That way when the weather is nice I can load in the garage. When it gets to hot or too cold, I lay down an old sheet in the dining room and roll it on into the house and load in the comfort of heat or a/c. When I had two presses I put one on each end.

Dang, that's creative. Thanks.

radarmonkey

Let's go Brandon
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Like one of these? I'm guessing the black one, item 5770 the 2 shelf cart?

http://www.harborfreight.com/24-inch-x-36-inch-steel-service-cart-5770.html

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 10' x 11' room in the house that I reload in. It's my man cave. I have a reloading bench,a work bench,tool boxes,three gun safes,stereo with a 300 disc cd player,computer,a phone, and many gun books. The main thing is being in the house and having the heat and ac.

radarmonkey

Let's go Brandon
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 10' x 11' room in the house that I reload in. It's my man cave. I have a reloading bench,a work bench,tool boxes,three gun safes,stereo with a 300 disc cd player,computer,a phone, and many gun books. The main thing is being in the house and having the heat and ac.

Are you on carpet? Has it ever been an issue?

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I load in my apartment. I really like loading inside compared to how i had it setup in highschool/college in dads shop building at the farm. I get a lot more done being inside as i didnt want to work in the heat or cold (we had enough heater in there to keep it above 50* in winter time). When ever i get out of this place into a house im either going to have a room like i do now or climate control the garage or a shed. I keep spills and messes down best i can and just keep turning out the ammo. 38 specials was the flavor today...

Latest posts

Top Bottom