Do you load in the house or out in the garage/shed?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since we got forumrunner back I can post a pic of my loading bench.

image-2702972157.jpg

nandb

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a descent setup I just finished. I built the NRA bench and incorporated a 4" wide piece of 1/4" steel plate underneath the front part where the presses go. Thing is solid as a tank. Wife wouldn't let me reload in the house so the only option I had was in an insulated cargo trailer that I had wired for power. I use a Mr Buddy Propane Heater in the winter and will have a portable AC unit for the summer. I don't keep my powder or many primers out in the changing temperatures; they are in the house and I just take out what I plan to use in the near future although that may be a bit overboard.

okdkranch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recommend a nice shed not too far from the house. From the way you put your question, I would quess you have room for a shed in the yard. If you are building it, make it bigger than you think you need, insulate the walls and ceiling heavily and use plywood for paneling. Anchor the bench or benches to the wall for stability and add a wall mounted AC unit, a small one is all you need. In the winter a radiator type oil filled unit is no doubt the safest you can use. High South facing small awing windows will give you some light and ventalation if you want and be both secure and not increase the AC load significantly. A beer fridge is a great idea but be careful, I know a guy who has blown up not one, but two guns with handloads....the lush.

Major advantages are that your stuff is safe from any kids or visitors and it is a great place to get away when some of the inane shows are on the TV. You can leave you stuff set up and store your powder and components safely away from the house for security and convienance. Cost to run the ac/heater is minimal with proper insulation.
Good luck

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For over 2 decades now, I've used variations on the following method-
A piece of thick plywood or MDF, roughly 2'x3' or bigger, trimmed drilled for press & powder measure and sanded. I use clamps to hold it to whatever table or counter I'm using. When I got. RL550, I glued an extra layer to the area that the press sits on for support.

We moved frequently during the Army years, so I couldn't really make a permanent setup. The idea worked for me so I've stuck with it.

Inside, with heat and AC is the way to go. I pickup/sweep as needed. Not a big deal.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In our old house, the workshop area of the garage was set up with all my loaders, BUT the workshop had an A/C vent and could be locked. NOW, the bench is in the house on carpet, and NO PROBLEMS.

IF you are concerned about the carpet, put down a mat / drop cloth and then clean after you're through loading.
IF you decide on the garage, look into some climate control.
IF you decide on a separate shed (the best idea IMHO - man cave, locked door), again, climate control is paramount.

The climate control discussed in the thread seems to be mainly in regards to personal comfort. While extremely important, I feel it is required for proper storage of powders and primers. I agree the presses should be 'permanently' mounted and ready for use, but protected with dust covers.

The final decision is yours. Just like asking about living in city or country, driving a Ford, Chevy, Toyota, shooting a Glock or 1911. You will get lots of OPINION, but you must decide what is BEST FOR YOU, your budget and what the wife allows you to do.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have a dedicated room in the lower level of our split-level house next to the laundry room we call our "craft room" - AKA "crap room". Ceramic tile floors, my loading bench, gun cabinet, file cabinet, paper shredder, laundry rack, etc. I don't cast any bullets or use mechanized equipment; I hook my vibratory cleaner up on the porch outside the laundry room in good weather or occasionally in the garage if I need to use it in bad weather. My equipment is all old and simple RCBS RockChucker and balance beam scale + RCBS powder measure. I set up at a table outside on our deck when I use my old RCBS hand rotary crank case trimmer. Works out fine for our little family.

Cedar Creek

Maverick1911

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I load in the garage and it is cold out there now but moving around keeps it a bit warmer.....never seems like I have enough room though! I eventually want to have a shed built with heat/ac but who knows when that will happen....

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I reload inside a bedroom with carpet no issues with vacuum and powder.
If you allow a cat or pet or child into a reloading room hhhmmm.. just shut the door.

That stuff in the carpet can get vacuumed every day..fertilizer and weed killers you bring in on your shoes will do more harm.

I know some that reload outside and their presses and some dies are rusty-ish as they keep oil on them to avoid this.

I have 2 old dressers i use .. one for powder measuring and storing powders and some brass.
A small metal cabinet for my presses so i do not shake or disturb the powder measuring area.
The cabinet with presses on it is full of lead bullets and primers..weighs maybe 400lbs loaded.. so it is steady.

reloadingroom.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom