Does anyone carry with FMJ bullets?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What type of ammo do you use in you CCW?

• FMJ

Votes: 47 11.6%
  • JHP

Votes: 358 88.4%

• Total voters

gundummy911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I carry my .45's with 230gr ball. I KNOW it will feed,even unexpanded it has a wider crosssection than an expanded 9mm.and, its my belief that in a situation where I have to convince a Judge that I was within my rights for shooting some hairball, I would rather look like a peace lover than a ravenous bloodthirsty killer. Remember, Liberals prefer Symbolism over substance.
BT

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry my .45's with 230gr ball. I KNOW it will feed,even unexpanded it has a wider crosssection than an expanded 9mm.and, its my belief that in a situation where I have to convince a Judge that I was within my rights for shooting some hairball, I would rather look like a peace lover than a ravenous bloodthirsty killer. Remember, Liberals prefer Symbolism over substance.
BT

But the .45acp FMJ is less effective than the 9mm JHP.

At least in Oklahoma we don't have to worry too much about those ridiculous legal issues regarding ammo type like some other states do...
Of course you could always tell them that you carry the same load as the local PD. :anyone:

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Seems to me if you are serious about carrying a handgun for defense you will spend a few extra dollars and make sure your gun will feed hollowpoints reliably. I agree for smaller calibers a fmj maybe just the ticket to get good penetration. However anything from 9 on up a hollowpoint has a lot less chance to exit your target. And as JP said if it goes to trial just tell the attorney that you are just using the same load as my local PD. FWIW our dept leaves the choice up to us as to what to carry. For me Gold Dot 124gr.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
JHP for me, with today's bullet and platform technology, you put yourself at a significant disadvantage when you carry FMJ in any of the service calibers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom