Does anyone carry with FMJ bullets?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What type of ammo do you use in you CCW?

• FMJ

Votes: 47 11.6%
  • JHP

Votes: 358 88.4%

• Total voters

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How so? Is it somehow less deadly?

Absolutely, granted you have a good JHP design and adequate penetration. Simple physics and human physiology. Start reviewing some trauma journals if you don't believe me. I've seen a number of cases where the round just simply passed through the individual and they walked into the ER. Discovery health had a documentary where a gang member walked into the ER after getting shot 3 times with FMJ .40 S&W.

Aren't FMJs superior for penetrating car-doors and other barriers?

Surely they are, but I'm going to stay with my odds of what scenarios are MUCH more likely to happen. I can't imagine many scenarios where I'd have to shoot through a car door to defend myself??

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One issue with FMJ documented by the Army medical folks is that FMJ tend to push large blood vessels out of the way, instead of cutting them, something like the difference between a target arrow and a sharp broadhead.

That also explains why a sharp-shouldered SWC makes a good handgun hunting load while a FMJ does not.

The Russians addressed this in some of their small-caliber military rifle ammunition by leaving a cavity inside the nose, allowing it to break over and make a sharp edge on impact.

V1K1NG0

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
JHP but FMJ for my 380's. They probably use FMJ because that is cheaper and they probably figure they'll shoot them more times with the extra ammo if they needed it. I'd say they use FMJ mostly because it is cheap and they dont opt for the JHP.

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How so? Is it somehow less deadly?

Aren't FMJs superior for penetrating car-doors and other barriers?

Regardless of how "deadly" either is, the main concern is incapacitation and all things equal, JHPs have the potential to incapacitate faster than FMJ.
If you look at some of the testing by the major manufacturers, their JHP offerings perform well against car doors and other barriers, particularly with the "bonded" or "uni-core" type rounds.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I am carrying my S&W 625 I usually either carry 230gr FMJ's from WallyWorld, or a special load that I had made up that I call my -P load.

My 45 ACP -P load:

185 gr LSWC @ 750-775 fps.

Please note that I do not recommend this load for any semi-auto pistol as it probably does not have enough recoil to reliably cycle the action.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They have fed reliably out of three 1911's that I shoot. Kimber Gold Match, Kimber Pro Eclipse II 4", and my Rock River Arms Pro Carry 4 1/4". As a bonus, the bullets impact at the point of aim at distances under 25 yds. I've fired maybe 200 rds. of these over the last couple of years. I would have answered sooner ,Jon1911, but I got busy.

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry my .45's with 230gr ball. I KNOW it will feed,even unexpanded it has a wider crosssection than an expanded 9mm.and, its my belief that in a situation where I have to convince a Judge that I was within my rights for shooting some hairball, I would rather look like a peace lover than a ravenous bloodthirsty killer. Remember, Liberals prefer Symbolism over substance.
BT

That's why I always get Speer GDHPs. It says "Personal Protection" on the box.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was carrying a Para Ord P12-45 I once shot a wounded hog 3 times with 230gr FMJ from 6ft - 1ft away. . (yeah it got that interesting). I will just say that I was very disappointed and will never use FMJ again.

I recovered two of the rounds and found the third in the nose of the skull (it went through the back of the head to the front of the skull) after we fleshed it and boiled it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom