Does anyone carry with FMJ bullets?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What type of ammo do you use in you CCW?

• FMJ

Votes: 47 11.6%
  • JHP

Votes: 358 88.4%

• Total voters

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
FMJ in everything but my various .38 spec. In some of those I use HP's (golden sabre, hydra shock, speer, glaser). In my older Colt revolvers (OP, PP) I use FMJ.

I am a big fan of carrying the ammo with which you practice regularly. Better shot placement is more important than expansion.

BigRed82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone carries their CCW with FMJ bullets in the mag?

When I watch shows like "First 48" it seems like the thugs are using FMJ.

It seems most people I know use JHP like I do.

Which do you use?

I don't see why I would ever want to use FMJ for defensive use if I have the ability to use JHP.

I always carry with JHPs. Currently I use Remington Saber 124+p. For nightstand duty I am still using Winchester Ranger 147s (w/ black coating). Planning on getting some Winchester Ranger 230s for my 1911.

03grunt

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've carried several guns in the past. USP 9mm, fullsize springer .45. I now carry a taurus revolver chambered in .327 fed mag. I keep it loaded with wad cutters. Lets face it, 6 rounds of hot lead tearing through the body of a BG is 6 rounds of hot lead.

Chances are that the encounter that leads you to pull your firearm on a BG is gonna be up close and personal. I dont think it matters if the bullet explodes on impact or not. The only thing that matters is that you can hit what your aiming at, hopefully its the BG's face.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most defensive actions happen around 6 ft from the BG. Get a round that will drop them, it's a fairly tale you'll be able to pump all the rounds in your gun at will in a real fight. If they have a gun too you'll be on the move from the 1st shot or two.

The hit ratio by even trained LEO's are poor. These aren't paper targets standing there for you to aim and shoot. A gun is drawn by anyone and your on the move real fast. You should train for the real world not the target world where COM is always there.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's a fairy tale that you'll have a round that will drop them. Shot placement is what does that, not caliber.

Well yes but some think that an encounter will be like a shootout on main street. What happen when you end up having to block a punch first before drawing, target moving or your moving, your on the ground, or the BG passes you to attach from behind. Sometimes shot placement ends up being what's given to you. Just look at the LEO hit rates in real fight, this isn't target shooting my friend and I know I'm not near the level of some of these professionals.

Go_Ordnance

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well yes but some think that an encounter will be like a shootout on main street. What happen when you end up having to block a punch first before drawing, target moving or your moving, your on the ground, or the BG passes you to attach from behind. Sometimes shot placement ends up being what's given to you. Just look at the LEO hit rates in real fight, this isn't target shooting my friend and I know I'm not near the level of some of these professionals.

Not sure where you're going with all that, and I was just responding to the notion that there's a particular caliber that's a one shot/knock down/drop 'em solution.

Nobody knows for sure what "an encounter" will entail, which is why you think about multiple scenarios you might find yourself in. Finding a burglar in your living room is totally different from a carjacking.

LEO shootings and hit rates are applicable to LEO's. When their job involves dealing with people "up close and personal", it's no suprise their shooting incidents happen at close range. If you used the military as your sample, you would end up with a whole different set of data. You can't generalize from either profession to what the average citizen might experience.

Latest posts

Top Bottom