Drahthaars

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Relentless

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody have one or have any experience with one? I'm not talking about a gsp or gwp, but an actual drahthaar. I've decided I've gone too long without a dog and I'm gonna pick one of these guys up. Since my last two dogs were killed in unfortunate accidents, I gave up on having one for awhile but now I think it is time. The dog will be used primarily for dove hunting with spots of duck and pheasant every year

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thats a new breed for me. I guess I need to do a little research to find out more.

Time passes during the research portion of this thread..........................

Ok, I'm back. I found a pretty good site about the breed. http://www.gundogmag.com/gundog_breeds/deutsch_1031/

According to the article, the original breed were biters, and fighters among other breeds, and this group had taken on the challenge of making the breed into a truly versatile gun dog for waterfowl and upland game by taking different lines and getting the best breed with all the good qualities, as well as making it a family dog.

I would bet that a pup from this line would be an expensive proposition.
If your wanting a dog that already does this, I'd consider a Brittany spaniel. In times past they were considered the poachers dog as they will hunt/retrieve anything if properly trained.
A big + is that they are not agressive at all, and love to be around people and kids.

Just my 2 cents, but if you have read any of my posts you've probably picked up that I'm pretty partial to the Britts.:D
Which ever way you go, its a lot of fun bringing a pup up to its full hunting potential and seeing the rewards of your work.:D

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Depending on the time of year, check out the OKC and Tulsa News Papers. We found ours in the OKC paper. Right now they are pretty much out of season. I got Gunner around the first of the year, when he was 8 weeks old.

Relentless

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd like to buy one from a reputable breeder, i've been burned with my coon dogs on buying pups from joe blow. If anybody knows of any let me know

reagorfu

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
those look really cool, but the next hunting dog that i am getting is an Airedale. you might want to look into them, they just started to let them compete in the AKC spanial tests, and they really are doing well. you are supposed to be able to hunt anything with them.

reagorfu

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
i just read that drahthaars are the same breed as the GWP's? it is just the german name for them. I would think that you could get a great GWP for less than a 1000, and from that point you could call it what ever you want.

Relentless

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
GWP pointers have been breed with no regulation, it's like the difference between an american rottweiler and a german rottweiler. I understand they share physical characteristics but breed wise they are a lot more stringent with the drahthaars

Bassman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I looked into them very closely before I bought my lab. Even went to Elgin and visited with the breeder and looked at the sire and dam of the next available litter. They are very nice dogs and very unique.
Went with the lab because I saw the sire and dam of my dog work and was more impressed. Plus the breeder was more willing to help with problems you run into training.

Latest posts

Top Bottom