Drt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My TV is DRT.
Where are the sales right now in OKC or points west?
I'm thinking plasma, 3d is down to affordable now, so that too, LG maybe.
From what I've read I would want active 3d. The gear is more expensive, but it's supposed to be good stuff.LED backlit LCD would also be on the list.
The place it needs to sit is: 55" wide by 43 1/2" tall 23" deep.
It would be nice if it has front speakers, but that's not a deal breaker.
I'm more interwsted in where to buy than what to buy.

Last edited:

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did a LOT of research on this a couple of years ago, but just before 3D came out.

Personally, I am a big fan of plasma, and my Panny plasma beats every LED I have seen out there until you get into ones that are well over double its price and two years newer, and even then it's a wash.

That being said, however, I don't recommend plasma for everyone. It was a choice for me based on watching styles, room setup and lighting, etc.

For my folks, I recommend LCD or LED, because they can't handle the responsibility of a plasma.

Where to buy? What choices do you have? All there is, is Wal-Mart, Best Buy and the other big boxers like Target, Sam's, etc. I don't see much difference for any of them. I buy mostly online, but my plasma I got at Sears after getting them to pricematch their own online price (which took over an hour and an argument with the manager, lol).

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.highdefforum.com/

Do some research there to decide which one. Lots of information to ponder and every situation is different.

As far as where to buy, amazon is by far the best in my experience. I bought a 60" panny plasma and the screen was cracked. Called up amazon and they sent another no questions asked. Amazons CS is top notch.

Also, buy the biggest screen that will fit. That way you will not regret buying too small.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Samsung is the number 1 rated TV for picture quality. I have a Sony LCD that I really like.. but it puts out a lot of heat at the screen surface.. LCD's put out about 105 degrees at the screen.... temp taken with a infrared thermometer. LED's have cool screen's and use less power. Hold the back of your hand up against the screens and you will be able to tell.

If I were going to buy a big screen, I'd go to Sam's Club! They have the best prices I've seen... and offers better name brands than most big box stores.

I don't like the Plasmas because the screens reflect light, their life expectancy is 1/2 that of the LCD & LED televisions and if you have kids or grandkids you have to make darn sure they never press their hands against the screen or you may end up with a permanent hand print in your picture.

You want the blacks to be jet black... not grey. And the Whites to be white, not bluish. I recommend standing back as far as you can from the displays in the store and looking at the screens of as many TV's as you can at once... look for reflections of light & washed out color. Again, Samsung is the #1 telvision for over all picture quality. Sony gives them a run for their money.

The only reason I have a Sony now instead of a Samsung is that my cheap 37" 720 P Poloroid brand LCD got zapped in a electrical storm 3 yrs ago... and WalMart's product insurance replaced it by giving me a upgade to a Sony 42" full 1080 P. Delivered it to my house and set it up for me. I highly recommend getting the insurance... and I've since added a UPS surge protector like you would have on your computer.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/183099/hdtv_buying_guide_making_sense_of_the_specifications.html

Last edited:

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Samsung is the number 1 rated TV for picture quality...
<snip>
... and I've since added a UPS surge protector like you would have on your computer.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/183099/hdtv_buying_guide_making_sense_of_the_specifications.html

Much salesperson's hype in this post. Sorry, but the facts don't support alot of that.

Anyways...

I second the highdefforum. Especially search for posts from PF5... he died a year or so ago, but had billions of very helpful and informative posts. He was a true lover of the technology and helped me and thousands of others get the right tech, the right TV and the right price.

Good luck!

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Much salesperson's hype in this post. Sorry, but the facts don't support alot of that.

Good luck!

As with most things being discussed, you can find thousands of example / facts to support any side of a arguement! Some people have enough sense to recognize that fact.. they research things for themselves and decide for themselves.... while with others, they don't recognize that and are critical of those who don't agree with them.. oft times going out of their way to pick a disagreement.

zseese

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Having all three types of TV's (Plasma, LCD, LED all 2D) I can verify pretty much everything David said as truth. Only thing I don't know about for sure is the life of them since mine are all fairly new. Personally if I were buying again I would get a Plasma 3-D because I like the picture better than the other two (deeper tones, finer, crisper lines and details). But for plasma to be optimal you need to have it in a fairly dark setting or the glare on the glass screen will drive you crazy. If it's in a bright room you need to get a backlit (a lot are lit from the edges not the back and the colors are not nearly as good) LED 3-d. And like was said before get the biggest one you can fit/afford...

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
As with most things being discussed, you can find thousands of example / facts to support any side of a arguement! Some people have enough sense to recognize that fact.. they research things for themselves and decide for themselves.... while with others, they don't recognize that and are critical of those who don't agree with them.. oft times going out of their way to pick a disagreement.

Sorry... take it as an attack if you like. That's your choice.

Latest posts

Top Bottom