'Early' winter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

easy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The deer out here in my 'yard' are already getting their grey winter colors. The one fawn I've finally seen is now spot free. Still haven't seen any bucks or sign for nearly a year.

Does the color changes and spots disappearing early indicate 'early' or harsh winter conditions?

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I had a fawn that looked like she was dropped the day before a couple weeks ago. No pics of her since then. Mom probably has her in defensive mode.
Traveling bucks seem to be moving sooner.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We had 6 does and one 6 point walk across the front yard this evening heading for the persimmon patch. They started dropping three days ago. I'm sure this will be another year that my apple tree next to the persimmons won't produce anything for us. The deer enjoy it though.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wish I had my food plots in earlier.
I've got an infestation of grasshoppers. After it sprouts I'll have to go in there with a pesticide that paralyzes the mandibles of the grasshopper so they can't feed. It's expensive, but it has no secondary kill of the quail and pheasant that eat the dead grasshoppers.
The name escapes me at the moment, but I have it written down in the shop. I'll post it tomorrow.

I've heard from several weather folks that we are going to have a wet snowy winter. That's awesome! Bring on the snow.

oksportsman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Winter is coming.jpg

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got an infestation of grasshoppers. After it sprouts I'll have to go in there with a pesticide that paralyzes the mandibles of the grasshopper so they can't feed. It's expensive, but it has no secondary kill of the quail and pheasant that eat the dead grasshoppers.
The name escapes me at the moment, but I have it written down in the shop. I'll post it tomorrow.

I've heard from several weather folks that we are going to have a wet snowy winter. That's awesome! Bring on the snow.
Let ua know what pesticide that is.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Let ua know what pesticide that is.

Chemical control is also another method that can work in reducing or eliminating grasshoppers. Be sure to carefully read the label for cautions and proper application. It is extremely important to never spray on days that are windy. Over the past few years, diflubenzuron, has been the preferred chemical to control grasshoppers. When diflubenzuron comes in contact with grasshoppers, it hardens the exterior of their body causing them to die. The advantage to using this chemical is that it is not toxic to adult insects like birds, bees and mammals. It is; however, toxic to immature aquatic insects. A few other pesticides that work to control grasshoppers are carbaryl and malathion. These chemicals need to be applied at very low volumes when sprayed. The down side to using these two pesticides in a liquid form is that they cannot target specific areas and may injure beneficial insects. That is why carbaryl and malathion are not frequently used in large infestations, but for smaller areas needing to be controlled. These chemicals are not approved to be used near any body of water.

https://m.farms.com/field-guide/pests/grasshoppers.aspx

Latest posts

Top Bottom