Egg shortage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of my new hens got injured from my roosters spur. Are there any good avian vets around OKC and Shawnee?
I had to take a chicken to the vet once, accidentally broke the leg of my wife's favorite polish hen, ended up being a few hundred $$$. Separate her from the flock in A hospital pen. Clean her up, you can giver her a bath in bucket with dawn soap. Clean the wound as best you can and ppray the wound with Vetericyn. The poultry version has blue dye to prevent picking. she should be good in A few weeks. Chickens are the toughest birds, I've seen em come back from some pretty bad injuries, for example once had a dog take the entire skin off ones back, healed up fine no issues

For future prevention you can despair your rooster by soaking him in warm water and pulling on the spurs.

1691232235382.png

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Seriously, if the price of eggs affects you that much you’ve got much bigger financial problems. I do realize many grocery items are increasing in price but come on, how many eggs does a person actually use a week.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seriously, if the price of eggs affects you that much you’ve got much bigger financial problems. I do realize many grocery items are increasing in price but come on, how many eggs does a person actually use a week.
I think it is more of an issue with people at the lower end of the income spectrum. Eggs are one of the cheapest complete protein sources, and needed if you make your own baked goods. We go through about 2 dozen eggs a week. I only buy pastured since conventional eggs are pig disgusting. so about $40 A month, $480 a year.

When I had chickens I spent about $30 A month on feed and got roughly 1/2 dozen eggs a day out of 10 hens selling the extras for around $7 a dozen or giving them away to clients, staying cool with the neighbors for having roosters in the city ext. granted I would need to buy eggs from around decided as I didn't light my hens. But I definitely feel the economic pain of now having to buy eggs.

Latest posts

Top Bottom