Oddities found while hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
What things have you found while traipsing around the woods that made you scratch your head and wonder what the story was behind it?

For example, I found a pair of old gold, wire frame glasses sitting on a rock. I mean real gold, and real old. Always wondered who the person was that took them off and laid them there, and just how long ago that happened. It was over 20 years ago when I found them.

Today I came upon this hole. It’s not perfectly round and doesn’t appear to have been bored. There is no power line nearby, nor any oil/gas wells. There are no signs of an old homestead and even if there were, I cannot imagine old settlers chiseling their way through rock when there are plenty of other areas nearby that are sandy and easy digging. Maybe used as a cache for something? What do you think?

View attachment 430282View attachment 430283View attachment 430284

That looks like an old catch basin for water. You can sometimes find them in creeks or in a bottom somewhere. Pioneers/homesteaders used to do that. We have a couple on one of our allotments that are probably 120+ years old that the family dug out before they ever put a well in.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That looks like an old catch basin for water. You can sometimes find them in creeks or in a bottom somewhere. Pioneers/homesteaders used to do that. We have a couple on one of our allotments that are probably 120+ years old that the family dug out before they ever put a well in.
That makes sense. It is not in a bottom, but the surrounding area all slopes toward this hole.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We find a lot of oil equipment that is Lord knows how old. We have unplugged wells with just casing sticking out of the ground, old valves and stuff like that laying around. I have always wanted to take a metal detector out there to see what I can find. When looking for my second buck this year, I found a pipe coming out of the ground about 1-1 1/2" diameter coming out of the ground. No clue what it goes to.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
We almost walked into a well like.that that water in it on a morning turkey hunt. We walked within feet of it on the way in, saw it on the way out lol. It was SE of Bartlesville, late 1980's.

In SE OK we found an abandoned and stripped CJ7 once, and a steel trap hanging from a branch about 20' up lol.

Haven't stumbled into anything on this side of the state.

LittleLoggie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMG_0891.jpeg

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Now that’s what I’m talking about @LittleLoggie I’ve come across old cars, trucks and heavy equipment in places where there seems to be no possible way it could have gotten there. Found one on the side of a mountain in the middle of a pine forest of the Cascade Mountains. My guess is at one time there was some sort of road decades prior that the flora managed to reclaim.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is another one. This was carved in an aspen right where I shot my elk back in 2013, just east of Pagosa Springs. Maybe ol’ Pete shot one in that same spot back in 1874.

View attachment 430290.
I’ve autographed more than one aspen tree in our travels.
Personally have never found anything weird in the woods while hunting, but a buddy found a Winchester lever gun that a tree had grown around over the years at the current Osage Western Wall WMA north of Pawhuska. He cut out the section and made it into a coffee table. He’s passed away now and have no idea where that went.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom