Electric Vehicle....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All the farmers used to have propane tanks in their trucks, back in the carburetor days. Not sure if it was propane prices or the added complication of conversions when FI took over?
I stand to be corrected but back in the propane days, I seem to remember the propane didn't have the lube qualities of gasoline which caused premature cylinder/ring wear.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I stand to be corrected but back in the propane days, I seem to remember the propane didn't have the lube qualities of gasoline which caused premature cylinder/ring wear.
I don't remember that, but it was primarily the drop in gasoline prices that killed the propane conversion market almost overnight. I knew several people who had propane conversions (my dad and grandpa even had their tractors running on propane), and, IIRC, it took about two equivalent units of propane for every gallon of gasoline. That worked out fine when gasoline cost about three times as much per unit, but not so much when you were looking at $1/gal gas vs. $0.60/gal equivalent for propane.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't remember that, but it was primarily the drop in gasoline prices that killed the propane conversion market almost overnight. I knew several people who had propane conversions (my dad and grandpa even had their tractors running on propane), and, IIRC, it took about two equivalent units of propane for every gallon of gasoline. That worked out fine when gasoline cost about three times as much per unit, but not so much when you were looking at $1/gal gas vs. $0.60/gal equivalent for propane.
Lots of propane powered tractors around at that time as well. You could fill up the tractor from the tank in the pickup.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jeep Wrangler 4xe hybrid owners are reporting 58mpg/1000miles per 17 gallon tank with regular cord charging.
3VlLMTV_d.webp

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
James May will forget more about motorsports than we'll collectively ever know. That dude is a genuine encyclopedia of knowledge.

Speaking of motorsports, Birmingham, Alabama has the Barber Motorsports Museum.

Barber Motorsports Museum

Give the homepage a bit of time and it will show you images of so many vehicles, 4-wheel and 2-wheel, almost enough to boggle the mind.

Latest posts

Top Bottom