eBikes & Scooters vs gasoline

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are eBikes and scooters immune to the laws that mopeds and other small bikes like the Honda Grom?

For example, can you ride one of the "electric only" vehicles anywhere you could ride a non-electric bike or scooter?

Also, what about electric motorcycles?

Is it like black rifles where the "scarier" they look, the more likely to be classified as a real motorcycle? Or is an electric motorcycle treated the same as an eBike and no tag or special government restrictions?

Funny how I believe I could ride an eBike to the park without any trouble, but a gas-powered minibike would get me a ticket or at least some dirty looks.

Finally, "if" there is the non governmental intervention advantage to an electric bike/cycle/scooter, how did YOU determine what was best for you for recreational way to cruise around your neighborhood or town?

Wife and I looking for some cheap fun to cruise around on (one for each).

Thanks

j99tc88

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As far as I know e bikes can be ridden even on sidewalks. Or bike lanes or the street just like regular bikes. They are supposedly not to go over 28 I believe.
I’ve been thinking about one also, small grocery shopping and errands. Quite good range on some.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
E-bike have classes; 1, 2, and 3.
On trails in the OKC metro classes 1 and 2 e-bikes are treated like regular bikes. They're limited electronical to 20mph.
Class 3 e-bikes go faster, not sure if there's a legal limit. I think those are treated more like motorcycles, you may need a license, I'm not sure.
Mine is a class 2, so I didn't look far into class 3.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
E bikes have been a relatively recent boom for the cycling industry. They've been around a while, but haven't gained wider ownership until recently.

That said, i think they are often regulated based on top speed. Many municipalities are beginning to look at them for additional regulations since the tech has made them faster, but overall they are still mostly delineated by speed.

IIRC, some places that also determine the taxable value based on it's status as a bike vs moped, so that would give you some indication of how it's classified i bet.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
E-bike have classes; 1, 2, and 3.
On trails in the OKC metro classes 1 and 2 e-bikes are treated like regular bikes. They're limited electronical to 20mph.
Class 3 e-bikes go faster, not sure if there's a legal limit. I think those are treated more like motorcycles, you may need a license, I'm not sure.
Mine is a class 2, so I didn't look far into class 3.

E bikes have been a relatively recent boom for the cycling industry. They've been around a while, but haven't gained wider ownership until recently.

That said, i think they are often regulated based on top speed. Many municipalities are beginning to look at them for additional regulations since the tech has made them faster, but overall they are still mostly delineated by speed.

IIRC, some places that also determine the taxable value based on it's status as a bike vs moped, so that would give you some indication of how it's classified i bet.

Yeah I figured the gov was probably behind on regs but had them on the radar...they do the same with crypto and even the early internet...I just don't know what the regs will look like...maybe putting a 7yr old boy on a 40mph eBike should be illegal? But finding a way to extract money from me "just because" is the height of the gov't "green" initiatives hypocrisy.

If I have to tag it or pay a special tax, I'd pick gasoline any day.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah I figured the gov was probably behind on regs but had them on the radar...they do the same with crypto and even the early internet...I just don't know what the regs will look like...maybe putting a 7yr old boy on a 40mph eBike should be illegal? But finding a way to extract money from me "just because" is the height of the gov't "green" initiatives hypocrisy.

If I have to tag it or pay a special tax, I'd pick gasoline any day.
For most e bikes there were different methods, some spun the wheels, others help with 'pedal assist' (making the load more manageable for people to pedal while still going faster). They are great for commuting, especially in hilly locations, and for giving people back their mobility. Gas certainly would make sense if you have a place to store it like a garage and are okay with the engine getting hot.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
oh, there is also a lot of discussion right now about buying from known brands. The surge in popularity has lead to a lot of cheaper brands entering the market and there have been occurrences of the batteries catching fire and burning down houses. I think some apartments and such are starting to regulate where they can be stored and such.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Pedego dealer in OKC lets you take an hour test drive, or you can rent one for longer. They have quite a few different models.
I've got the Element, I ride if off road sometimes and on paved trails. I love it.
Donner is right about battery problems, get a known well established brand, and don't try to hot rod it with a bigger motor and battery from China.

Latest posts

Top Bottom