encore barrel storage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttt

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a few scoped barrels that I don't know how to store safely. I've been keeping them in gun cases to keep them from getting banged around. However, this is just taking up too much space. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Grumulkin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ah, yes... I used to have the same problem.

First of all, remove all the scopes. Unless you have the Warne Weaver style bases, remove them as well. Then install Warne Weaver style Maxima bases and put the scopes in Warne Quick Detachable rings. Then sell the scopes you don't need. You'll be able to easily switch a scope or two between barrels.

Next, get the longest gun socks you can buy. You can get them from MidwayUSA, Cabelas, Gander Mountain and I'm sure other places. Stick the barrel all the way in, and if enough is left, bring the sock around and put it over he barrel again and tie it. Barrels without scopes are much easier to store and the gun sock will protect your barrel.

ttt

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

Grumulkin, I see your logic. However, I've got some excellent scopes specific for the calibers that I really like.

Klong, that's a good idea. I am going to have to figure out how to do this for my safe.

kdlong

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
made full circle back in the kiamichi mountains in
i pulled the sheetrock out of the door and screwed a 1x4 behind it.then i put the sheetrock back in the door .then i took 1/4 in lag bolts about 3 inches long and screwed them into the sheetrock into the 1x4.then i cut the head off of the bolt and put a piece of 1/4 inch rubber fuel line on the bolt for coushin.when i hang the barrels, i just put the bolt inbetween the scope and base and let it slide down till it touches the scope ring.just make sure how much clearence you have between the scope and base so you can use the biggest bolt possible.also when you put the bolts in the door put them on an upward angle so the barrel will not slide off.hope this help figuring out how i did it.

Grumulkin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Grumulkin, I see your logic. However, I've got some excellent scopes specific for the calibers that I really like.

You can still keep all your scopes. Taking the scope off the barrel makes a shorter object to store and easier to take for airline travel. When you put the scope back on, simple as pie, there is no loss of zero as long as you put it back on the same barrel.

I had to do something as I was running out of room. I now can lay barrels in the safe on top of each other protected by gun socks. The exact number of barrels is classified but it's more than three which is as high as females can count. They know if you have 2 or 3 barrels but after that it becomes "those barrels" and you can get as many as you like. This principle works, by the way, with any other type of male possession such as fishing rods, guitars, etc.

ttt

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
kdlong, that's a great idea. Thanks.

Grumulkin, I'll have to consider the cost but you do make a great point. I also absolutely concur on your principle as one who builds offshore fishing rods for fun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom