English Bulldogs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does anyone own one of these? My wife is really wanting to get one but I'm very hesitant to spend 800+ bucks on a dog. I have heard they have health problems and are very gassy. My boxer farts all the time but from what i'm reading, these may be worse :eek2:

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had them and my sister has them now. They are really cool dogs with more health problems than you can begin to imagine. The cost of the dog, $800 is really cheap for one, is nowhere near what the health bills will cost if you are unlucky and get a dog that has problems. Their hips go out, they go deaf, they can't breath, the have an odd oily smell that you can't get rid of, they drool all over everything, and have trouble with hot weather and need to be kept inside 99% of the time. Feel free to pm me any questions.

Eric_Williams

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My grandfather is on his second one and he is a hoot but yes very gassy. They have a hard time breathing. My brother had one and it died when they were putting her out to spay her and they blamed it on there breathing also. They have hip problems also. My grand father has to give his 3 different meds every day and he is only 3

BobBarker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, inside only dogs. Don't do well with heat or cold. Your bulldog would be dead if you left him outside for 4 hours in this weather, guaranteed.

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also, mine used to pass out after I bathed him due to the short nose. It was a weird deal. They also have very short lives. Don't forget the snoring. Also, they are very sweet and lovable.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah I was afraid of that. My dog right now needs food, the ball thrown a few times, and shots once a year and he is good to go. I just don't want a dog thats gonna be at the vet all the time.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As everyone else said, they have issues, but that wouldn't bother me as long as you know what you're getting into. $800 is pretty low end for an English Bulldog though. You pay for the blood lines with history of longer living healthy dogs, health testing done to the parents by the breeder, etc. $800 for that breed sounds like a backyard breeder.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Adopt a mutt from the shelter. You'll get a dog with a much better better chance of a long and healthy life, and it'll be a lot cheaper - and you'll save a dog's life! :)

Powerman620

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, inside only dogs. Don't do well with heat or cold. Your bulldog would be dead if you left him outside for 4 hours in this weather, guaranteed.
I had one that stayed outside and lived many happy years. We had a little kiddy pool that we kept water in and he would take a dip during the day to stay cool. They have very oily skin and it will get on furniture and such if in house, shed a bunch and yes he was gassy. Loved him but would not get another one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom