English Bulldogs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
$800 is a good deal!!! Is it AKC/UKC or whatever pure breed class they are in??

English and Frenchies are the reason I went to Bostons. Maybe the luck of the draw, but I have had 8 Bostons and no problems. The only time they were gassy was when I would buy Alpo-horse meat, yes it stated horse meat...back in the late 80's and early 90's.

They got to stinking up the house so bad, my wife one time was going to call a plumber. She thought we had sewer problems!!! Well, THAT was the end of horse-meat Alpo!!!

Bostons....love 'em!! They can get a little hyper.......you have to know when to stop them and let them cool down.
[Broken External Image]

A doctor friend had a bunch of English Bulldogs. He didn't mention too much about problems EXCEPT the drool!! When they got excited, or just ran around the yard........yuck!!!

I always wanted a Bull Terrior. My sister and my nephew have them..............they can get agressive in a heart beat.
This didn't scare me, but I was afraid that if relatives kids, neighborhood kids, etc....got them excited, they could inflict some pain. Mind you, I know this can happen with any dog, I just want to reduce the risk.

I will get a Bull Terrior some day....I do have an old Spuds Mackenzie beer poster framed and hanging in my man cave!!

[Broken External Image]

Cohiba

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love Bull Terriers, but they are terriers and big ones at that. I can only imagine the damage they could do to my house and yard. I have a Visla and a Jack Russel Terrorist right now and the Visla is truly awesome. Both were rescues and they are very healthy and loving. Somehow they know that we saved their lives and you can tell they appreciate it. I did love my English Bulldog, just too many issues with them.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm with Cohiba on the Bostons. My grandfather had one. That dog could get his dairy cattle to go anywhere he wanted them to and God help you if he didn't know you or my grandpa said "He's yours". That dog had no idea he was a little bitty fella ... But he was gentle as could be with all us kids ... NEVER ran out of energy though ... man, that thing was a live wire ...

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Visla and a Jack Russel Terrorist right now and the Visla is truly awesome. Both were rescues and they are very healthy and loving. Somehow they know that we saved their lives and you can tell they appreciate it.

That's a high energy combo. :D

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love Bull Terriers, but they are terriers and big ones at that. I can only imagine the damage they could do to my house and yard. I have a Visla and a Jack Russel Terrorist right now and the Visla is truly awesome. Both were rescues and they are very healthy and loving. Somehow they know that we saved their lives and you can tell they appreciate it. I did love my English Bulldog, just too many issues with them.

Not to hijack the thread too much, but how is he/she?? I'm toying with getting a smaller dog and have thought about JRs but GC's not to keen on them (mostly because they aren't big and intimidating). I say that a wiry little Jack Russell can be every bit as intimidating as a German Shepherd and a lot harder target to hit. ;)

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have an English, but I do have a French Bulldog and they share a lot of positive and negative characteristics. Like mentioned, their skin is fairly oily and 3 days after a bath they stink again, so she gets bathed once a week using a minimal ingredient, all natural shampoo. Most chemical shampoos irritate her skin. A lot of them have grass allergies, especially bermuda, but we lucked out.

Like most brachycephalic dogs, they need to be indoor dogs only, they need to take it easy outside when it's too hold or too cold as they have a difficult time regulating their body temps, they need to be watched around water, their fat folds need to be cleaned constantly, and it's preferred they do not wear collars, but harnesses.

Even with a high-quality dog food, she's still gassy. You can hear it across the room and it will melt the paint off the walls. I've described it before here and I'll do it again, but if you took crushed up walnut shells and bits of celery, put them into a pile and lit it on fire then you would know what we have to deal with on a daily basis. That's the best way I can literally describe what comes out from back there. It's horrible.

I've had mutts and rescue dogs my entire life and decided just once I was going to buy a dog that I've always found interesting. She has had the most interesting and hilarious personality and I have never had a better dog than her, in almost every way a dog can be judged. She'll play so rough with me that she'll break the skin on my forearm, yet she'll run right over to the 5 year old and play with her in the same way, yet she'll be very gentle. That was nothing she needed to be taught, either, she just automatically knew not to be rough. I was impressed by that.

I've had a Jack Russell rescue dog and my Frenchy could run circles around that dog, I have never seen a dog so hyper. We've also experienced 0 health issues in her almost 4 years on this planet.

Here she is after attacking my feet when all I wanted to do was walk across the backyard. Obviously at this point I was pushing her a bit. You can hear her interesting snorts and such there, but it gets bad when she's asleep. It's very loud and very constant depending on how she's laying. An English, being even bigger, will probably have an even louder, more rumbley snore.

Ugliest damn dog I've ever had, though (no, we don't dress her up, the wife did this solely to take a pic and send to me just to piss me off (I hate clothes on animals)):
[Broken External Image]

Last edited by a moderator:

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not to hijack the thread too much, but how is he/she?? I'm toying with getting a smaller dog and have thought about JRs but GC's not to keen on them (mostly because they aren't big and intimidating). I say that a wiry little Jack Russell can be every bit as intimidating as a German Shepherd and a lot harder target to hit. ;)

They are intimidating, trust me. They are neat little dogs. Live forever, very smart, easily trained, few health problems, and love to play. On the downside, they are escape artists and like to be involved in everything. They are known as recycled dogs because very few end their lives with the people that got them as puppies. I say this not because people get rid of them, but that they will escape. Ours was found as a juvenile in the middle of a national park and you could tell it had been on its own for awhile. I have never had a dog that loved me as much as the JRT. I like the long-haired ones too.

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Danny you are very lucky with the Frenchy. My sisters French Bulldog has already had 2 major ear surgeries and has now gone deaf. It also had to have major surgery on its neck. That on top of the other issue mentioned and its only 4-5 years old. It's a cool dog, just has a ton of issues.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They are intimidating, trust me. They are neat little dogs. Live forever, very smart, easily trained, few health problems, and love to play. On the downside, they are escape artists and like to be involved in everything. They are known as recycled dogs because very few end their lives with the people that got them as puppies. I say this not because people get rid of them, but that they will escape. Ours was found as a juvenile in the middle of a national park and you could tell it had been on its own for awhile. I have never had a dog that loved me as much as the JRT. I like the long-haired ones too.

Hmmmmm ... thanks. I did not know about the escape artist thing. Was kinda leaning more toward the short hair just because the older I get the less maintenance I feel like fooling with ... I'm the only person on the planet that spends every morning grooming a dog and 3 cats ... I swear I could make a ton of blankets with all the hair floating around in the yard. Blah!

Latest posts

Top Bottom