English Bulldogs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zombie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmmmm ... thanks. I did not know about the escape artist thing. Was kinda leaning more toward the short hair just because the older I get the less maintenance I feel like fooling with ... I'm the only person on the planet that spends every morning grooming a dog and 3 cats ... I swear I could make a ton of blankets with all the hair floating around in the yard. Blah!

Monster is JRT short hair...you have seen he is quite the demon and vicious little guy right? Definitely loves to play, loves attention, but yes will find a little hole and slip out in the yard. But he has seemed to stay close every time...

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
These are natural born hunters!!!!

Coon dogs.................Blueticks!!! I know you're talking about English, but hunters were brought up and I had to give a BIG+1 to the Bluetick.

Hunted many a mile with these dogs!!!

[Broken External Image]

awww.dogbreedinfo.com_images17_BluetickCoonhoundClementsBluePrancer2years2.JPG

awww.bluetick1kennels.com_images_2008_Christmas_20day_20with_20Kojack_20and_20Fancy.jpg

Cohiba

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My ex Marine DI,MP/cop father raised GSDs when I was a kid so I always liked big dogs. As an adult Ive so far had a Chow, a Rott, and a hybrid wolf dog. Live-in girlfriends and 2 former wives all had cats while I had my outside dogs- one ex back in Cali had 7 cats. Im ok with cats as long as it doesnt sleep on my head. My mother always had little dogs, mostly poodles, in the house. I never really cared for little inside dogs. My last ex had a pug and I hated him as much as he hated me. We moved from California to Vegas to Des Moines together and I never got used to that dog, vice versa.

When I got with my current Mrs I wanted an English or a French BD but she wanted a Boston- so we ended up with a Boston. He turned out to be an awesome little fella, but one day when he was about 2 he dug under the back chain link fence to 'play' with 2 of our backside neighbors Pits and they mangled him so bad he died in my arms at the vet. The yard dog, a female Beagle my kids owned, just watched the whole scene from our yard while doing her job, her being the smarter of the two dogs. Thousands of dollars in new and better fencing- chain link inner w/ about a foot of it under the ground and 6' cedar privacy fence outer with railroad ties all around a 2 lot sized yard fixed it for the next little guy.

I did though what they say not to do when a dog dies, I went right out and got us another Boston from a breeder I found out in Beggs. And he has turned out to be the biggest azzhole I have ever owned, but he loves me to death and I love him and we have a bond. No one else likes him much so he's all my dog. He's as smart as Stephen Hawking. Err, maybe smart is a little bit of a stretch, how about sly and cunning, mischeivous, etc. Certain foods and he farts like an open sewer, the wife wont even let him spend the night in her bedroom. He's now about 35lbs, pretty solid and muscular for a lil guy even though hes on a slim and trim food blend and no table food. He snores about as bad as Ive been told I do. He steals the wifes and the kids socks, shoes, gloves, hats, etc constantly- but never touchs my stuff so Im ok with it. Both my Bostons never chewed a wire or damaged anything in our house as long as they have an abundance of play and chew toys and chew bones- now the house is littered with his stuff. My 14 yr old cant even walk thru the house with shoes on without the dog attacking his shoes and growling and fighting with him- he does this to no one else (my opinion is that a teenagers stinky feet in their stinky sneakers attracts the dog to his shoes...). He is a pure inside guy preferring to nap almost all day and night curled up on the couch in an old afghan my mom made me, its his blankie now after he adopted it. I can leave him at about his maximum 5-7 hours home alone without having to go out and come back and hes right where he was when I left- curled up on the couch on top of 'his' blankie. The wife thinks he pees on the side of the toilet when we're gone and he's home alone- I say its a 14 yr old boy with bad aim because when I leave I close the hallway bathroom door. He likes to go out in the heat but comes back in pretty quick panting after running around with the girls, the Beagles. He loves snow and loves running around in the rain, and he always comes back in clean some how. He is very fastidious about his cleanliness for some reason, almost like a cat. The lil dumbass bolted out into a hail storm once thru a door left open to try and 'catch' the hail. Booming thunder, fireworks, anything loud none of it fazes him- while both the Beagles are under the bed shivering. Im basically stuck with the dude but hes now my constant companion and I wouldnt trade him for anything. He croaks though, then Im going to check into one of those English BDs or the Frenchie...

Thorgrim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The English Bulldog is like a toad. They are not athletic, tough or healthy; but I think their repulsive looks make up for it. I think it's funny to see a dog make so many noises. That said for the money ($800 cheap) I would consider something else.

badrinker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's an old joke in vet med that all you need for a successful practice is a dozen bulldogs for patients and owners with unlimited funds.

JRT are large dogs stuck in small bodies, they have the exercise requirements of a bird-dog! If they don't get enough exercise, they tend to become destructive.

blckthree

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had one Bulldog. Never another. Ours was a great pet, health was good for a bulldog, up until the last year. He had trouble breathing, snored like a freight train, drooled, slobbered, had ear infections, shook his head and slobber would land 6 feet up on the wall, and of course there was always the farts. Add to that the folds in the skin to keep clean or else, bathing no more than two weeks apart or he stinks something terrible.

Oh, and it has to be an indoor dog, this hot weather will kill it quickly. Cold weather isn't much better.

Our Buster lived to be almost 9 years old, old for a bulldog. He was the joy our lives for the time he was around. I wouldn't tell you not to get one, but be aware of all the issues you will have for the next 6-8 years. And that $800 price is pretty low for a quality bulldog.

Good luck!
Mike

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After reading this thread I don't know how anyone could want an animal with such a high probability of ending up costing thousands more over its life time. I have a Redbone Coonhound that I love who is absolutely great. Doesn't try and escape the yard, doesn't destroy stuff, she's a big time beggar though, my fault. My dogs always end up beggars.

ai143.photobucket.com_albums_r123_ras5040_Pets_4_15_2010009.jpg

ai143.photobucket.com_albums_r123_ras5040_Pets_4_15_2010010.jpg

ai143.photobucket.com_albums_r123_ras5040_Pets_4_15_2010005.jpg

We also have a Little Chihuahua less than 5 lbs. His and hers if you will. She has seizures but so far they haven't really cost me much money. Only like 2 a year and they are only for a little bit, maybe a few minutes. Though lately it seems they have been getting more frequent. .

ai143.photobucket.com_albums_r123_ras5040_Pets_4_15_2010007.jpg

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good Lookin' Red Bone!!!

She looks like one of them city slicker dogs!!! (just joking) How do I know this....no ticks, no scars and the tips of her ears are nice and smooth....not tore up.

Good Lookin Red Bone!! If I ever get a big dog, I will have a bluetick for my inside big dog.....clean, protective, and excellent dipositions with kids!!!

Cohiba

Latest posts

Top Bottom