Enough of Made in China

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cue

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's not the company's fault that most people prefer the lowest price over highest quality.

Businesses have one goal: profit. If you can eliminate unnecessary expenses, you create more profit that can be invested into more ways to make more profit.

If you don't have the ability to move a reasonable amount of product made by union labor at a price that the market is willing to bear, then you go non-union.

If you still can't move a reasonable amount of product with American labor and/or subject to American regulation at a price that the market is willing to bear, then you go overseas.

It's pretty simple. The majority of the American market won't bear American union prices.
How is it the fault of the union worker that american business men of this generation have no business ethics?

My whole point is people have no clue what they are talking about when they blame union workers for the fall of american manufacturing. It all boils down to corporate greed. How do firefighters contribute to the fall of american manufacturing?

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How is it the fault of the union worker that american business men of this generation have no business ethics?

My whole point is people have no clue what they are talking about when they blame union workers for the fall of american manufacturing. It all boils down to corporate greed. How do firefighters contribute to the fall of american manufacturing?

I never blamed the union workers. Unions have their place, but some are just a little overboard like UAW.

It doesn't boil down to "corporate greed". What it boils down to is what the consumer is willing to pay for goods. If a manufacturer can't produce those goods with a reasonable margin that still allows the distributor a reasonable margin and the retailer a reasonable margin, they have to look for ways to cut production expenses. If that means moving or outsourcing manufacturing operations elsewhere, then that's what they do.

ETA: If corporate greed is your issue, then you have a reason to join me for my favorite beer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oLxQm0oax8

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I agree, generally speaking, that it is not the fault of the American union worker that is the problem. Most people that have a problem with the unions tend to blanket all who are associated with unions as evil and willing to do what ever it takes to maintain a certain level of compensation and benefits no matter the harm it does to a company or gov't agency whether it be a municipality or the Fed Gov't. IMO, most of the blame should be put on the shoulders of the Union reps and management. They are the one who are generally advocting not to negotiate with companies or gov't entities under any circumstances. However, the basic union workers are the ones who vote these slimy bastards into said postions to do the talking for the rest of the union work force.

I disagree about the business men of this generation having no ethics. Sure you will find examples of corrupt CEO's and Presidents but they are by no means the norm. You think every CEO is out to screw the American worker???

As for firefighters contributing to the fall of American manufacturing, well, they don't and I don't know how it is important to the prior discussion. However, the various Firefighters Union leadership from many areas of this country use the same tactics as Unions such as UAW, SEIU, ULA or basically any union under the AFL-CIO umbrella. And, yes, many of the public service unions do great harm to state and local gov'ts especially when the economy is in the crapper.

Care to explain "corporate greed" to me. I get what you mean but would like to hear your explaination as it seems to be quite the buzz word from liberals when they defend unions.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wondering when you guys will quit patronizing businesses owned, operated and staffed by illegal aliens? Not any different then buying stuff that is Made in China.

Wow, sudden outbreak of common sense!

Seriously, if you want to stop putting Americans out of work, stop shopping at WAL-MART. Stop filling your houses full of poorly made asian products.

Go to real stores and buy American, it isn't that hard.

IMHO, anyone that shops at Wal-Mart is no better than someone that gives jobs to illegals.

rustbuilder

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
All my new balance have said made in usa. FOMOCO= FORD MOTOR COMPANY AND IAM NOT OLD!!! And most of the governing world does not want a national economy,they want a global economy. :soldiers:Besides we claimed japan.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMHO, anyone that shops at Wal-Mart is no better than someone that gives jobs to illegals.

Please explain.

Wal-Mart directly provides over 1.9 million jobs. That means 1 out of every 76 jobs in the U.S. are with Wal-Mart, and that's just with the stores, logistics, and corporate. That doesn't include the indirect jobs in the supply chain.

What makes Wal-Mart not a "real store"?

Do you shop at Target? Do you shop at Home Depot? Do you shop at Lowe's? Do you shop at Garden Ridge? Do you shop at Old Navy? Do you shop at OfficeDepot? Do you own a computer? Do you shop at Best Buy? Do you own a car?

Applying your logic, anyone who does any of the above is no better than someone that gives jobs to illegals. In my opinion, those who have their high horse stuck so far up their ass that that is something they honestly think is no better than the floaters at the local sewage lagoon.

ultimase

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For the most part everyone here has it nailed down. Want less stuff to be made or sold in China? Then you have to remove the incentive to do it.

Right now China has the corner on cheap labor. Whether that has to do with population in general, unions, etc is a wash. Any type of work that can be accomplished by brute force of labor is likely going to be cheaper.

There are several stories that I know of, of people who want to go into production with an idea they have, wanting to keep it in the US, only to find out that the amount of money it would cost here to start would be the same it would be to fund and BUILD a factory in China and fund it for several years. What's the incentive to keep jobs here? Yes it would be built in the US, but for every one person that boycotts China products are 10s if not hundreds that simply buy the cheapest.

An example? stop by harbor freight. I've have my share of snap on, mac, craftsman, and harbor freight. Yes the snap on, and mac have their mystic about them. I've invested in snap on for some precise tools ie torque wrenches, but other than that I don't feel shorted to grab my harbor freight tools. It's a needle in the haystack treasure hunt to even find ANYTHING in the store that's made in the US, but every time I've been there it's been packed. That alone tells you why everything is made in China.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow, sudden outbreak of common sense!

That wasn't common sense, it was:

In my opinion, those who have their high horse stuck so far up their ass that that is something they honestly think is no better than the floaters at the local sewage lagoon.

What he said.

Good luck not patronizing businesses that support illegals. If you are a member of modern American society, you do it every single day. It is a high horse, unless you live in a cave and own nothing, and never exchange money for food, goods, or services.

But whatever helps you sleep at night.

ShooterMcGee

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree, generally speaking, that it is not the fault of the American union worker that is the problem. Most people that have a problem with the unions tend to blanket all who are associated with unions as evil and willing to do what ever it takes to maintain a certain level of compensation and benefits no matter the harm it does to a company or gov't agency whether it be a municipality or the Fed Gov't. IMO, most of the blame should be put on the shoulders of the Union reps and management. They are the one who are generally advocting not to negotiate with companies or gov't entities under any circumstances. However, the basic union workers are the ones who vote these slimy bastards into said postions to do the talking for the rest of the union work force.

I disagree about the business men of this generation having no ethics. Sure you will find examples of corrupt CEO's and Presidents but they are by no means the norm. You think every CEO is out to screw the American worker???

As for firefighters contributing to the fall of American manufacturing, well, they don't and I don't know how it is important to the prior discussion. However, the various Firefighters Union leadership from many areas of this country use the same tactics as Unions such as UAW, SEIU, ULA or basically any union under the AFL-CIO umbrella. And, yes, many of the public service unions do great harm to state and local gov'ts especially when the economy is in the crapper.

Care to explain "corporate greed" to me. I get what you mean but would like to hear your explaination as it seems to be quite the buzz word from liberals when they defend unions.

Do you not really know what corporate greed is or is that question an argument 101 trap tactic?

Corporate greed: the willful and purposeful manipulation, unethical abuse, exploitation, and deceit tactics used by corporate executives for personal gain no matter how it effects employees, communitees that keep it, or the corporation itself.

Latest posts

Top Bottom