Enough of Made in China

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went to buy some athletic shoes on Christmas eve. I was deciding on between two pairs, one $20 cheaper and a bit more comfortable. Wanting to try the cheaper brand, I happened to look at the tag..."made in China", so I went with the other brand made in Vietnam (better? I don't know). Out of curiosity, I look at the shoes that I am wearing, the most comfortable and expensive shoes and my favorite ever..."Made in China"!! Which brings me to this morning. I'm telling my workout partner the story. I started thinking a little, my wife bought me some workout gloves for Christmas, I looked at the tag, "made in China". I looked at my elbow brace, "made in China", my Ipod, "made in China". After the workout, I'm getting ready for work looking at tags as I go along, neck tie, belt, workout bag, dress shoes, wallet, all made in China, my watch finally made in Japan, oh wait, the band is made in China. My shirt and dress pants are probably made in China, I'll check later.

I don't make new years resolutions, but maybe I will make one this year. I will be more conscientious of what I buy going forward concening where it is made. I sure don't want one of those bombs that have the capability of sinking our air craft carriers to have a tag on them "made with the financial support of Street Rat".

I know I won't be stop buying from China entirely, but enough is enough. We need to have some things made, sold and bought in the USA again.

Well, then, you better have a good way of getting rid of the American unionized work force.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I was younger everything was made in Japan, I remember tearing into my 67 mustang..it had japanese writing on everything, I came in the house griping about nothing being built in America anymore, Dad asked me what did the writing say? I told him "fomoco".....

I don't think they got it.:D

tntrex

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
redwing boots "made in america fom imported materials" got to start somewhere and i figure they are not chinese cow hides brazil or argentina most likely

Not true anymore. I assumed this also because it had always been that way as long as I been buying them. That is, until my last pair about 10 months ago. Clearly printed "Made in China" inside boot. Now I have to find another boot maker. Maybe Nocona?

Even Redwing has gone overseas:cry11:

I heard New Balance tennis shoes were made is USA.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some New Balance shoes are made in the USA and some are imports. I am currently wearing a pretty high-end pair of NB shoes and they are made in China. I have a pair of Wolverine boots from Cabela's - Made in China. Chippewa boots are made in the USA and some Justin boots are also. I have a pair of Justin lacers that are made in the USA; Cabela's also has a similar pair that is a little cheaper that is imported.

Oh - did I mention I buy most of my shoes &stuff from Cabela's? Check out their Bargain Cave and you can find some good close-out prices on footwear sometimes, especially big or small sizes. That's where I get my 12 EEE bootie kickers. :burnout:

Cedar Creek

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh look another reason to blame the working middle class.

Seriously you need to get out of Rush's box and open your eyes.

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/union2.pdf

Bureau of Labor Statistics said:

In 2009, the union membership rate—the percent of wage and salary workers who were members of a union—was 12.3 percent, essentially unchanged from 12.4 percent a year earlier, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported today.

I hardly think that 12.3% of the workforce represents the working middle class.

Anyway the link is an interesting read about the state of unions in the US as of 2009. Worth the time to take a look.

Latest posts

Top Bottom