Epic miss with my bow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lithiumokc

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here goes, I was hunting some pub land in NW Oklahoma, It was late in the season and it was right around the time we have some super cold temps. I think on this day it was 19. Im sitting in the stand doing the woodsman thing watching the deer wood wake up. This morning it was a bit foggy. I could only see clearly out to about 25-30 yards. I had set out my yard markers a few days earlier "I like to use TP as its easy to hang and easy to clean up". About 45 mins after kick off, I hear something making some noise to the SE of me. My stand is facing E, with a well worn trail running S to N. I am about 15 yards off of the trail. I wait for 30-45 mins or so wondering what could be taking so long to get within eye shot?? I now can see something moving in the fog. Still unsure of exactly what it is i freeze up and fix my eyes on the movement. After a few moments it comes closer and I can make out a RACK.. Its not huge or anything but this 8 point was a monster to me.. So im watching this thing walk the trail coming my way. The trail is in an opening and really clear shots in all directions just have to wait for the right angle. So this buck walks up to a very nice squared off shot. The buck looks away from me so I draw my bow back. Right when I got to the end of my draw this damn buck starts making a scrape right in front of me. Now I have never seen this in person, and to be honest I was blown away watching this awesome animal that we love so much doing it thing. It worked on that scrape for about 10mins then lifted its head and started playing with the branches above the scrape. All this time I have my bow drawn back and as you might know holding a 70lb draw @ 55% let off for 10 mins is going to make you abit shaky. So after it was done doing its thing I let it walk to about 20 yards "guessing at this point because my markers were no where to be found at the moment" and let one fly. I shot under him but just a hair and he ran off never to be seen the rest of the trip. I later walked the trail before we left to find 3 other scrapes along that same trail. So thats what was taking him so long. Anyways Im kinda glad I missed now because he gave me a show I will always remember. Thanks little buddy for the memories.

badaugherty

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hunted hard for Javelina all week not seeing anything at my stand. The last day of the hunt I was down and out and just decided to lay back in a depression under some mesquite. I figured I would hear anything and at about dark, I hear something coming above me, but I couldn't see anything. Finally I grabbed my bow stood up and there was a javelina at about what I thought was 20 yards uphill from me. I drew, put my 20 yard pin on him and let fly to shot clean under him. Walked it off and it was exactly 25 yards where my broadhead smashed into a rock and ruined my carbon arrow.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hunted hard for Javelina all week not seeing anything at my stand. The last day of the hunt I was down and out and just decided to lay back in a depression under some mesquite. I figured I would hear anything and at about dark, I hear something coming above me, but I couldn't see anything. Finally I grabbed my bow stood up and there was a javelina at about what I thought was 20 yards uphill from me. I drew, put my 20 yard pin on him and let fly to shot clean under him. Walked it off and it was exactly 25 yards where my broadhead smashed into a rock and ruined my carbon arrow.

He had shot one running a couple days before at 50 yrds and center punched the chest but it had already been shot by my brother with a killing shot so ba did not get to claim it. Misjudging distance is a killer with the compound.

Bulls eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I missed a 125 inch buck in Alabama about 10 years ago with my bow. He came in with a spike and when the spike cleared and that big sucker stepped behind a tree, I drew. Well of course he stopped behind that tree with me at full draw. And of course as soon as I couldnt hold anymore and let down he took a step forward. I drew again and he looked right at me and I rushed the shot about 1 inch over his back. Sure would like to have that one back again!!!! I felt like dropping a arrow out of the stand and jumping on it:disappoin As they say, time heals all wounds and I emerged from my depressed state about 3 months later. Still can see that deer and my arrow flying over his back like it was yesterday. Sometimes it aint the ones you kill that are burned into your memory but the ones you miss.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't remember you telling that last year Dennis. Either I forgot, or you are just now fessing up.:D

My confession was in some of the threads about Xbows.
Last year, my first time at big Mac, It was perfect hunting weather. A slight drizzle, and 50 degree temps during the day.
I had been practicing a lot, and had either shaved some fletchings off, with other arrows, or drove them too far into the block and they came off.

I had never re-fletched any arrows before, and a co-worker that doesn't bow hunt any more, loaned me his fletcher and showed me how to do it.

Shot a couple of them and was good to go.

Put up a hang on and put some markers out for distance.

When I got into the stand the next morning a pope and young stopped not 30 yds away on some acorn rage I put out. It was a known distance, and let one fly. It went over the back of the buck. He ran off about 30 yds further and stood there looking around, and wandered off, never to be seen again.
Replayed the shot a million times in my mind, and could not figure out why.
Later on during regular bow season, was in the stand and noticed a tiny cut in the foot strap. I got out several of the bolts, and found that one of them just caught the edge of the strap as the broadhead edge was down. I have since used a dremmel tool to put a relief in the foot strap so that can't happen again.
2 more months, and maybe that big guy will walk by again:D

Latest posts

Top Bottom