Ever feel like the food service is slow at McD?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep. It's kind of sad to pull into any town from here to DC and see Chili's, Cracker Barrel, Panda, Taco Bell, Olive Garden, Texas Roadhouse....etc....

No regional or cultural flavor at all. That crap is garbage here at home, I don't want to eat garbage on the road either.
I don’t mind that, it makes it far easier to know which places I should avoid.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I found sunday lunches to be the worst day to wait tables. A portion of that crowd was great, friendly and generous… and then you had the cheap, demanding, entitled and self-righteous portion… Nothing worse in the world than false religion.

In my experience, I saw zero correlation between race, religion, sex and being a decent human. Except vegans, that’s a cult ;)

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my experience, I saw zero correlation between race, religion, sex and being a decent human. Except vegans, that’s a cult
Dear Abby,
I'm hosting a dinner party, and I'm concerned that some of my guests might be vegans. How can I find out if they are?
Signed,
Concerned Host

Dear Concerned,
Don't worry. They'll f***ing tell you.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

MP43

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have not eaten an McDonald’s in decades………I just won’t do it.…..I have Not eaten there since the early 90’s
I'm dating myself, but I also noticed a significant change in the early nineties. Prior to that time, McDonalds had a simple menu. Coffee, hash browns and Egg McMuffins for breakfast (if they offered breakfast at all, not all the restaurants did.) Burgers, fries, shakes, a fish sandwich and fried apple pies were pretty much it the rest of the time. Probably less than half the restaurants had drive-thus, and they weren't especially prominent. McDonalds never claimed to have the best food, they marketed themselves on being fast, cheap, clean, and consistent, and they were. In the early nineties, they started pushing the drive-thrus more, menus were greatly expanded, marketing went from Ronald McDonald and catchy pop jingles to an urban/hip-hop emphasis, prices took a significant jump, and the restaurants were facelifted to a more uniform, corporate (bland) appearance.
With many more types of food items to prepare and keep track of, speed and accuracy of order filling took a nosedive. Increasing resources dedicated to the drive-thrus caused the quality of counter service and cleanliness of the dining areas to noticeably decline. And of course you were paying more for it.
I went from from grabbing a meal at McDonalds once or twice a week to once or twice a year, basically only when there was no reasonable alternative. Yet, the changes must have worked for them. My infrequent visits confirm they've stuck with the newer model of doing business. So despite my thorough conviction that the seventies-eighties McDonalds were superior in almost every way, a majority of the public apparently thinks otherwise.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm dating myself, but I also noticed a significant change in the early nineties. Prior to that time, McDonalds had a simple menu. Coffee, hash browns and Egg McMuffins for breakfast (if they offered breakfast at all, not all the restaurants did.) Burgers, fries, shakes, a fish sandwich and fried apple pies were pretty much it the rest of the time. Probably less than half the restaurants had drive-thus, and they weren't especially prominent. McDonalds never claimed to have the best food, they marketed themselves on being fast, cheap, clean, and consistent, and they were. In the early nineties, they started pushing the drive-thrus more, menus were greatly expanded, marketing went from Ronald McDonald and catchy pop jingles to an urban/hip-hop emphasis, prices took a significant jump, and the restaurants were facelifted to a more uniform, corporate (bland) appearance.
With many more types of food items to prepare and keep track of, speed and accuracy of order filling took a nosedive. Increasing resources dedicated to the drive-thrus caused the quality of counter service and cleanliness of the dining areas to noticeably decline. And of course you were paying more for it.
I went from from grabbing a meal at McDonalds once or twice a week to once or twice a year, basically only when there was no reasonable alternative. Yet, the changes must have worked for them. My infrequent visits confirm they've stuck with the newer model of doing business. So despite my thorough conviction that the seventies-eighties McDonalds were superior in almost every way, a majority of the public apparently thinks otherwise.
I noticed the decline in quality, significant decline back then and it was simply unappealing to me. I switched to Whataburger back then and never looked back until they sold, and with that sale the size of the burger changes almost instantly. These days I dont eat much fast food, if I do its Freddy’s or FIve Guys or one of the many local burger joints Clauds , Ron’s, Hanks, Arnolds, Bills Jumbo, etc. I dont care much for Fat guys but thats mostly because of the eggless bun they use….ugh. But you are right it’s working for McDonalds, or it seems to be working for them large menu, mediocre food, quik and cheap is likely the operative driver I would guess. I will use their bathrooms form time to time, but the only thing I have purchased from them in the last several decades was black coffee and it to was mediocre’

MP43

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I noticed the decline in quality, significant decline back then and it was simply unappealing to me. I switched to Whataburger back then and never looked back until they sold, and with that sale the size of the burger changes almost instantly. These days I dont eat much fast food, if I do its Freddy’s or FIve Guys or one of the many local burger joints Clauds , Ron’s, Hanks, Arnolds, Bills Jumbo, etc. I dont care much for Fat guys but thats mostly because of the eggless bun they use….ugh. But you are right it’s working for McDonalds, or it seems to be working for them large menu, mediocre food, quik and cheap is likely the operative driver I would guess. I will use their bathrooms form time to time, but the only thing I have purchased from them in the last several decades was black coffee and it to was mediocre’
Yeah, darn shame about Whataburger. Didn't have one within 50 miles, so it was a happy day when one opened "only" about twenty minutes away. Then within less than a year the chain sold and it hasn't been the same since. Sigh.

Latest posts

Top Bottom