Ever had a CAT Scan? MRI?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CC379

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
back in 1984 when mri's were fairly new, I went to get my first mri back then they had to keep the mri room at about 40 degrees, the mri operators apologized for the wait because the a/c system couldn't keep up and they were doing repairs I could smell burnt wiring through the whole deal, claustrophobia was certainly setting in, I kept thinking any minute this thing will be on fire, but maybe even worse was several years later I got an mri with no a/c and no fan, must have been 90 degrees in there and claustrophobia certainly set in, but I rode it out, Dr. ask about how my mri went when I told him about the heat & feeling of claustrophobia, he got pissed said a few curse words then said they have direct orders to never put anyone in that tube without proper cooling and air circulation

bink98xcab

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anything I need to know or do before an mri? Going in Thursday morning for one on my ankle. They just asked the normal questions when I set the appointment up, but gave no guidelines to follow the night before or morning of. They asked if I was clostraphobic or had any metal rods or screws in my body.

DavidH1

Marksman
Reaction score
Yep, had cat scan, MRI and MRA, that's when they found where my blood clot went after my stroke. then discovered my Homonymous Hemianopsia. for the ones that don't understand, loss of left peripheral vision.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a CT scan done on my head early a.m. one week ago today.........the iodine made me feel kinda 'strange'<-----(hard to explain) and sick to my stomach all day.

I've had two full tube MRI's and they had to pull me out of both and reschedule with me being IV sedated........never knew it all my life till I tried the first MRI but apparently I'm claustrophobic.
I hate the noise, the weird pressure feeling, much less I have to curl my shoulders to even fit in the thing. open mris are a must, and I still hate them.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They will commonly give you headphones and ask what kind of music you want to help deaden the noise. Be advised, it does not come close to blocking the noise, but it does help some. I have no problem with claustrophobia, so that is not an issue for me. FYI - Stillwater does have (or did) an open-sided MRI, if you have trouble with that and have to have another one in the future. Good luck!

ETA: You do not need to do anything for prep, the night before or the day of, unless it would be for meds they might suggest.

Latest posts

Top Bottom