Facebook bans “Far-right extremist Louis Farrakhan"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes ,I do . It is a public platform and they are deciding what is ok for me to see. Libraries are owned by the city, do you think it is ok for the city to decide what I can read? I don't, I am not knocking them for just the right leaning people they have banned but all of them.
I also do not think facebook should be held accountable for what some wacko puts on the public platform. And .gov going after Zuckerburg and trying to hold the company accountable for others views or fake news is ridiculous just like going after my guns because of some wacko is ridiculous.
>gov cannot legislate peoples thinking no matter how out there it is.

facebook isn't public, though. It's open to the public, but it's owned privately.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never in my life would I have ever thought I'd ever see the terms "far-right" and "Louis Farrakhan" used together.

He is not far right. He's neither right nor left. He is Muslim. Right now he is befriended by the left. As far as Farrakhan is concerned, the left is nothing more than useful idiots. YMMV.

Woody

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
facebook isn't public, though. It's open to the public, but it's owned privately.

The company makes money off of the users, so while it is privately owned you get your funding from the users targeted by advertisers!!
So they are saying unless you do not conform to our companies thinking your out. Censorship, plain and simple and I do not agree with it in any form.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kinda like getting banned on OSA....
LOL, you been banned or what?:cool: I do not think banning someone is the answer and the worst I have got on here is a warning for giving someone guff on here that is constantly giving everyone crap, I was wrong and got tattled on and Dad warned me about being rude!! Now I just have to be careful and realize just cause some folks can dish it out does not mean they can take it LOL. So now I have to censor me and I think it is wrong!!:drunk5::cool:

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The company makes money off of the users, so while it is privately owned you get your funding from the users targeted by advertisers!!
So they are saying unless you do not conform to our companies thinking your out. Censorship, plain and simple and I do not agree with it in any form.

they do use user data, which you willing agree to as part of the TOS and give them through usage. And part of that TOS is an agreement to behave in a manner with which they deem appropriate.

Which, as was noted, is the same as using this site.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
LOL, you been banned or what?:cool: I do not think banning someone is the answer and the worst I have got on here is a warning for giving someone guff on here that is constantly giving everyone crap, I was wrong and got tattled on and Dad warned me about being rude!! Now I just have to be careful and realize just cause some folks can dish it out does not mean they can take it LOL. So now I have to censor me and I think it is wrong!!:drunk5::cool:

No, getting banned on Facebook is just as legit as getting banned here. And, no I haven't been banned by either.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they do use user data, which you willing agree to as part of the TOS and give them through usage. And part of that TOS is an agreement to behave in a manner with which they deem appropriate.

Which, as was noted, is the same as using this site.
No, getting banned on Facebook is just as legit as getting banned here. And, no I haven't been banned by either.

Guys I am not saying they don't have the right!! I say it is wrong, I know it is my opinion and in the grand picture my opinion is worth nothing. I still think censorship is wrong!

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Facebook is owned by its shareholders and is traded on an exchange. It is a publicly traded stock and therefore not privately owned. If anyone owns an S&P index fund, you own a portion of facebook.

Privately owned companies have a different set of reporting rules than publicly traded companies.

ACB3C240-DCE4-4219-96EF-EA6430BD5434.png

Last edited:

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL , interesting! Thanks for the post @SlugSlinger. More info to ponder!!
Was to busy to with other issues that do not matter to look up whether Facebook is actually private or traded.
But do like the back and forth on the subject as it got me too thinking about other items. And Donner and dlmcm always discuss issues in ways that make me think outside of my " little box"!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom