Facebook bans “Far-right extremist Louis Farrakhan"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here’s some interesting stats.

2.9 billion shares outstanding
Market cap = shares outstanding x share price = $558 billion
Annual Revenue $59 billion

And a statement about the business.

0E0AD057-D785-409F-9CE9-72B06E396930.png

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Facebook is owned by its shareholders and is traded on an exchange. It is a publicly traded stock and therefore not privately owned. If anyone owns an S&P index fund, you own a portion of facebook.

Privately owned companies have a different set of reporting rules than publicly traded companies.

View attachment 136180
Lolz. Distinction without difference in this discussion. It’s not public like a library, even if it’s publicly traded (which is what my comments were directed to). And buying a share likely doesn’t get you out of the terms of service.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lolz. Distinction without difference in this discussion. It’s not public like a library, even if it’s publicly traded (which is what my comments were directed to). And buying a share likely doesn’t get you out of the terms of service.

I thought you were getting to something like government controlled.

“State-owned enterprise” might have been a better descriptor than public. In eduction, public and private apparently means one thing, in business, it means something different.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought you were getting to something like government controlled.

“State-owned enterprise” might have been a better descriptor than public. In eduction, public and private apparently means one thing, in business, it means something different.

mine was a quick (and crud) attempt to separate it from public vs publicly accessible with regards to comments about censorship and such. That the rules that govern how facebook operates are more consistent with them being private than them being owned by the tax payer (or, as you said, 'state-owned'). That was all.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom