FAL price confusion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bitterdaze

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It seems like a fella can pick up a great 1911 for $600-$900 nowadays. Maybe not the best available, or the "best kept secret bang for the buck", but a solid example. An AK platform can be had for $600-$800, and AR for $900-$1200.

I'm in the market for an FAL pattern rifle, and am getting more confused by the minute. What is an acceptable price range to expect? Not looking for a generally poor example that happens to be a tack driver, or a highly sought after collectible with a price tag to match. Just a solid performer at a median price. Is $1,200-$1,500 realistic, or am I looking in the wrong places?

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It seems like a fella can pick up a great 1911 for $600-$900 nowadays. Maybe not the best available, or the "best kept secret bang for the buck", but a solid example. An AK platform can be had for $600-$800, and AR for $900-$1200.

I'm in the market for an FAL pattern rifle, and am getting more confused by the minute. What is an acceptable price range to expect? Not looking for a generally poor example that happens to be a tack driver, or a highly sought after collectible with a price tag to match. Just a solid performer at a median price. Is $1,200-$1,500 realistic, or am I looking in the wrong places?

You should be able to get a great example of an FAL for anywhere from $800 to $1500; you don't need to pay $2000 for one of the DSA models (some of their rifles can be had in the low $1000 area), and unless you are collecting you don't need one of the $2500-$4000 and up FN Belgian models. There are a few smiths that build FALs from kits that do excellent work well within your price range, and every so often one of the factory rifles comes up at a good price. I paid $900 last September for a Springfield Armory SAR 4800, unfired in the box. They are out there.

StorkPatrol

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
For DSA quality on a budget, check out on of their STG-58 rifles. They are built from Austrian parts kits by DSA and go for $1100-ish. I think AIM Surplus has them recently. Also check out Gunplumber at Arizona Response Systems. He is pretty much the man for custom FAL builds.

If you want to get adventurous, try building on yourself. You can easily build a good FAL exactly how you want it for under a grand. --Stork

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you buy or build a kit rifle, make sure you go with Imbel parts. They're generally considered the best that are readily available. Same for the receivers. The Imbel Gear Logo receivers are worth a little more, but the only thing I've heard is that they sometimes make the build go smoother.

bitterdaze

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! This is the type of information I was looking for. I think I'll look into STG-58 series, looks like a fair price for the features I want.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the DSA Stg-58s are the way to go.

I think there are too many variables involved, considering the number of FALs out there that were assembled from parts kits, to know if some random FAL that you might find at shop or gun show was assembled correctly.

Imbel receivers were probably the number one choice when putting a parts kit together but they are no longer imported. I've seen them on auction sites sell for many times what they originally sold for. I think the DSA receivers are probably the best choice today.

Latest posts

Top Bottom