Fall Away Rest

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brian89

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Dr tad, which NAP fall away rest did you get?? I have been looking into a few of them.. I know they have the NAP apache that is a full containment rest, and It comes with some sort of moleskin on the prongs that your arrow sets on.. The containment part of it was rubber coated to keep noise down..

Reaction score
Oh nice - I didn't see that one. This is an older version which is why it was on supersale at Academy. The little plastic part that sticks on top of the aluminum part, to hold your arrow until it lifts up, fell off again and again, both with their stickum from the package, and superglue tried a couple of times. I then dremeled a "channel" into the aluminum on top, to keep the arrow centered - now I just need to put some moleskin on there thin enough to 'maintain the channel through' to the top of the moleskin....

I'm glad I posted - I think I'll definitely stick with it - you guys are right (FAL guy) that on the shot itself, this is actually quieter than a biscuit - pretty danged quiet in fact. It was just the draw that was the noisy problem - and that's easily remedied - should have already figured that out of course... anyhoo, I'll stick with it. It's definitely accurate - at 19.5 yards, I was able to hit 2 of 3 in a row, during one set Saturday, into my actual 1.5" bullseye paint, with the third one within 1" of the bullseye. And then got several more in the bullseyes, too, after that - this was with a moderate wind going, blowing my hold around. Bow is a cheapie Hoyt MR200 Sport - something like that. 2003-ish model.

My new crossbow came pre-installed with a biscuit (PSE Tac-10). But I may hunt with the traditional bow some too - I plan too. Especially if I experience a jump the string incident with this loud x-bow.

PS. I now envision a thin moleskin for contact with the bottom of the arrow - THEN superglue two small but thickish "tabs" on either side of the arrow channel, on the top of the moleskin, with standard velcro pieces - the fuzzy side - to help hold the arrow centered. The question is, will this stuff stay on or fall off, after use / vibration, with superglue attachment? That was the problem before, with the OEM piece from NAP.

Reaction score
Ok, problem solved - I just got a $4 Allen shooting tab from Academy, and cut off a small piece of calfhair and superglued it to the top, then put two little leather tabs from the other leather layer from the tab, and superglued it on either side, on top of the calfhair. The arrow travel is a one-way exercise on the fall away, so with the calfhair aligned toward the rear, its very smooth and quiet now!

I still have most of the tab left, for other future similar projects.

EDIT: When I say "just", I mean, "last evening". Actually, I meant "simply", not a time frame...

BadgerLB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks on the goat tuff tip! Do you know the answer to this fill-in-the-blank question, by any chance?

"The TWO-inch Quik-Spins (not the 4" I'm currently messing with) will stabilize 9/32nds" arrows up to ________ inches in length.".
Dunno the official answer but I run 2's on my maximas and they're about 31 inches long.. had a robin hood a week after i got em... fantastic arrows.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got a biscuit, and can hit a tennis ball at 20 yards. Don't shoot over about 30 yards, so it's the biscuit for me. Can't keep an arrow stable on another type of rest, so will just take the velocity penalty inherent with the biscuit. CB

SIG44

Marksman
Reaction score
From my experience it's the Hostage all the way. I've used fall aways, whisker buscuit, and now the Hostage. The hostage really gives you the best of both worlds. You get the full containment, and the only drag is on the very bottom of the shaft, as the top two "shoulder" brushes don't make contact with the arrow when you are shooting. It is really phenomenal, and really affordable, and super quiet. Some of the fall aways are 100 bucks or more. I think I got my Hostage for $40 2 years ago after my whisker started showing wear in the bristles. It was like $20 to replace the disc after just 2 years. Ive had the hostage now for 3 and the bristles look the same as when I put it on.

Reaction score
I think the more advanced Hostages that allow you to adjust each of the three packets of bristles are ok, except that they are just so danged cheesily built, with plastic everywhere - I'm afraid that one cold cold December/January morning, it's gonna break in half.

The older ones that are not adjustable to your arrow's diameter are not acceptable, IMO. They look way too big for a 9/32nds arrow, from eyeballing them anyway.

They're on the right track - as you say, getting toward the best of all worlds, if you align your fletching with the spaces such that you get no interference. But gawdsakes, let's see some high quality aluminum alloys from some maker, please - not junk plastic. Are you listening, Whisker biscuit people? Copy the hostage, with high quality materials, and you'll really be onto something!

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the bad part about the hostage is they wont clear a full helical (maybe on 2inch viens).... if the front clears the back wont and vise versa.... plus cheesy plastic but thats why the are cheeper, if they where machined aluminium and not molded plastic they would cost 3X as much and be right up there with all the good drop aways

Latest posts

Top Bottom