Fess up folks! cooking confession time.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Was off yesterday, and decided to cook up a venison backstrap steak, and some eggs for breakfast.
Got out the flour container to dredge the steak in, and make gravy later, but it was empty.
dug around in the pantry, and found a 2 qt container of flour.
Put the seasoned flour steak in some olive oil, and let it cook pretty slow. Got the eggs out, and turned the steak over, noticing how brownish red it was, but it was early, and dropped a couple of eggs beside it.
Well, it started smoking, so turned the heat off, and the vent fan on max. Noticed the olive oil turning a dark brown.
Took everything out of the skillet, and put on a plate. It was ugly looking!
dipped my finger in the flour, and discovered it was convectioners sugar!:scream::scream:

Not one to waste food, I tried a piece of the steak, and spit it out. That was HORRIBLE!!

What was your worst cooking screw-up?

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have any mix ups like that... yet, but I have burned the bread COUNTLESS times, while getting every thing else ready, after saying to myself, or any one around me, "Now I gotta remember to take out the bread." I get busy with other stuff, then poof! Just like clockwork, burned the f***ing bread again!

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
French fries ... GC LOVES french fries. I don't cook french fries anymore because I have nearly burned the house down a couple of times. Last time when I went to move the skillet off the burner the fries actually ignited!

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jeez, more than I can remember. Usually involves leaving out a vital ingredient. I've forgotten to put eggs in cakes that very much require eggs. Hint: they don't turn out well.

I returned to camp one morning while hunting, and made the bitchinist egg, bacon and cheese sandwich on a camp stove. It was a thing of greasy, golden brown beauty. Put it on a plate and promptly dropped it in the loose dirt at my feet, which stuck to the grease covered sandwich rather efficiently. I picked it up and ate it. I was hungry. It was good.

French fries ... GC LOVES french fries. I don't cook french fries anymore because I have nearly burned the house down a couple of times. Last time when I went to move the skillet off the burner the fries actually ignited!

Getcha a deeper skillet.

I make the best fries ever, if I do say so myself. Hot oil/grease and potatoes are my friends.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jeez, more than I can remember. I've forgotten to put eggs in cakes that very much requite eggs. Hint: they don't turn out well.

I returned to camp one morning while hunting, and made the bitchinist egg, baccon and cheese sandwich on a camp stove. It was a thing of greasy golden brow beauty. Put it on a plate and promptly dropped it in the loose dirt at my feet, which stuck to the grease covered sandwich rather efficiently. I picked it up and ate it. I was hungry. It was good.

Getcha a deeper skillet.

I make the best fries ever, if I do say so myself. Hot oil/grease and potatoes are my friends.

Hey! 5 second rule, right??

No you don't understand ... let me set the scene for you:

Turn on heat to get oil good and hot.
Go check OKShooters ... just for a second.
Hear sizzle so run back into the kitchen to see a slight moving sheen in the oil.
Drop in fries.
Cuss like a sailor when grease EXPLODES.
OK ... things calm back down ... looking good.
Gotta run back and check on OKShooters ... just for a second.
What's that smell?
Quick ... turn off heat ... open all windows ... turn all ceiling fans on high ... get out the baking soda ... just in case. Throw the fries (that now look like greasy charcoal) out ... Opps ... melt's trash can liner ... Carry skillet full of smoking grease out to grill. Set it on the metal grate inside grill. Shut the lid (seriously ... the smoke is TOO MUCH! cough cough).

Seriously, he can just run down to Sonic for Chrissake ...

penismightier

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was cooking the kids two different meals. One wanted Easy Mac-n-cheese, the other wanted ramen noodles. After cooking both, I started adding the flavoring to each....except I put the cheese on the ramen and the soup seasoning on the macaroni.....DOH! Needless to say I had to make another batch of each.

RangerRandP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok I'll tell one on myself. We're making tacos at m aunt's house. I brought taco shells, forgot the box. That becomes real important. Meat is browned queso made go ahead and throw the taco shells in the oven. Crap what temperature? No box no idea. Ummmm 300 sounds good. Wait 7 or 8 minutes check on taco shells. Well those look funny?

HOLY S!@T!!! The shells are on fire!!!

Scream at the aunt she grabs a towel I grab the oven door. Bad idea. Those suckers were like flash paper as soon as air touched them. Luckily it was an old towel so it got thrown on top of the taco shells.

Go home get more taco shells, this time with box. Umm 220 I think I was a little off. O well fun times. I still eat that kind of taco shells I just pay more attention.

Latest posts

Top Bottom