Field tags?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting note here.

I read a story in Outdoor Life Magazine several years ago about a guy that shot a huge bull elk.

They require something like we are talking about in their regs.

Guy shot the bull, tracked it for a long way and eventually found it. He punched his tag, and went for help. When he got back there were two guys trying to drag his elk out with an ATV. It came to a gun point thing, and a call to a game warden.

When the GW showed up, it could have been a he said, he said event, but the guy that originally shot the bull stuffed a business card down the throat of the elk. Done deal.

I've never experienced this situation but I'm betting its not uncommon.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Field Tagging & Checking

Field Tagging Requirements

All hunters (including lifetime license holders) who harvest a deer or elk must immediately attach their name, license number, and date and time of harvest securely to the carcass. Annual license holders who harvest deer or elk must also complete the “Record of Game” section on the license form.

All hunters (including lifetime license holders) who harvest a turkeymust immediately attach their name and license number securely to the carcass. Annual license holders must also include the date and time of harvest with their field tag and complete the “Record of Game” section on the license form.

All hunters (including lifetime license holders) who harvest an antelope must immediately attach their name and license number securely to the carcass. Annual license holders who harvest antelope must also complete the “Record of Game” section on the license form. Antelope hunters participating in controlled hunts must also include the date and time of harvest on the field tag.

All field tags can be any item, so long as the tag contains the required information. The information must remain attached to the carcass until it is checked.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Plastic luggage tags that you slip a business card in.

Yeah, that works too. I have a few metal tags with my name and license number stamped into them. The back side is flat and smooth and I write the date and time of kill on the tag with a sharpie. I have zip tied them on or use fine wire that I keep wrapped around tag until needed.

Sticky Stokes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I obviously need to update my tagging system, used a piece of an empty corn sack last year, wrote the info on it and stuck a stick through it and wired it on using a short piece of bailing wire.

Weatherby

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yeah, I just write my info on a page out of my pocket notebook, stuff it in the ear, and deploy a clothespin to keep it secured. You guys are pretty high speed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom