Fire mission Tulsa. Save the Brady name.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hate politacal correctness and week kneed politicians.
4 of 9 councilors intend to vote for changing the name of Brady street to Burlington, 4 of 9 are opposed, with one councilor unavailabe to vote until next week.

Phil Lakin jr. is on vacation and won't be able to vote until next week

Intending to voting for the change were Jack Henderson, Skip Steele, G.T. Bynum and Blake Ewing.

Councilors saying they will vote no are Karen Gilbert, David Patrick, Jeannie Cue, and Arianna Moore.

Sir,

I hope you are aware of the irony of your decision to vote in favor of changing the name of Brady street to Burlington, a family famous for owning slaves in Vermont where an entire city was named for them.
You should also be aware that the business owner who takes exception to the Brady name and has been the principal instigator of this conflict does not have a business in the Brady district. The Rusty Crane is in fact in the Greenwood district, not the Brady.
I know several business owners and managers in the Brady district who are opposed to changing the street name I ask that you take the time to visit with them and get their opinion on this before next weeks vote. I have been a patron of a little bar in the Brady called Caz's since 1996, the city had very few street lights down there and it was a virtual ghost town on weekends unless there was a concert at the Brady theater or the Cains Ballroom. I am happy to see the changes which have occurred over time, but changing a street name is not a change I would like to see.
I am a voter and do vote in city council elections. As a homeowner in your council district I promise you won't get my vote in your next election should you decide to vote in favor of changing the name of Brady Street to Burlington.

Feel free to copy paste and edit to meet your circumstances should you choose to urge the 4 council persons in favor of changing the name to reconsider.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And a little something for Phil Lakin copy paste and change to match your situation

Sir,

I hope that in next weeks vote you will vote against changing the name of Brady street to Burlington

It's ironic that the name change to, Burlington, a family famous for owning slaves in Vermont where an entire city was named for them, is being pushed because of Tate Brady's KKK affiliation.

The business owner who takes exception to the Brady name and has been the principal instigator of this conflict does not have a business in the Brady district. The Rusty Crane is in fact in the Greenwood district, not the Brady.

I know several business owners and managers in the Brady district who are opposed to changing the street name I ask that you take the time to visit with them and get their opinion on this before next weeks vote.

I have been a patron of a little bar in the Brady called Caz's since 1996, the city had very few street lights down there and it was a virtual ghost town on weekends unless there was a concert at the Brady theater or the Cains Ballroom. I am happy to see the changes which have occurred over time, but changing a street name is not a change I would like to see.

JimCorrigan

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thou rule hast been written, thou doctrine decreed:

If incident occurs "here" it is acceptable. If incident occurs "there" it is unacceptable.

It would appear that the citizens of Tulsa, and the Council, rightfully agrees! I mean, if the Burlington's owned slaves in Virginia, that's one thing, who cares. It didn't happen here. But Tate Brady tarred and feathered union workers personally, assaulted people in Tulsa. And certainly played a role in one of the most heinous acts of racism in this country. It happened here, so people can talk about it and what-not. Can't have that, so let's name it after someone who didn't do anything bad here.

I think it's natural for a Rep. from Greenwood to be pushing for the change.

AtomicTango

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From what I've read, Burlington was the original name of the street, before it was named after Tate Brady. It doesnt have anything to do with slave owners from Virginia, its just what it used to be called.

Brady doesn't deserve to have his name or legacy celebrated in any way. Its like naming a part of town the Jim Crow District, and pretending it doesn't matter because "it was a long time ago." To me the real shame here is that so many are uneducated about the racial history of Tulsa, and are willing to dismiss it so readily.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bettingpython: I don't mean any offense, but I thought I heard the council votes are flipped from what you have. Who knows though, I was driving and listening to krmg so I may have misheard.

I say leave it. It's what every one knows now. If they were going to change it then they should have done it 10 years ago before all the revitalizing occurred. The one thing I keep hearing as well is that there is no proof or very limited proof as to his association to these events. There have been no pictures, eyewitness accounts or other proof brought forth, I thought I heard a councilor say.

If they change this name then that opens the door to changing a street's name for anyone who did anything remotely controversial. Guess what? We are all humans and we all have faults.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If they change this name then that opens the door to changing a street's name for anyone who did anything remotely controversial. Guess what? We are all humans and we all have faults.

I believe that there was a period where Ivy League schools curtailed black enrollment; looks like there's a couple of dozen miles worth of street signs to replace, north to south, in the middle of Tulsa, too.

AtomicTango

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._Tate_Brady

The section called "Notoriety in Tulsa" gives a decent synopsis. I don't know about you, but to me those acts don't fall under "remotely controversial" or "we all have faults." I'd go with "hate crime" and "terrorism."

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Negative GP I got em right and even heard back from my councillor. He won't be getting my vote. The Burlington for whom the street was originally named was in fact a Vermont Yankee. Not a Virginian his family were slave owners and the city of Burlington was named after them. It's not a rep from greenwood it's a business owner who keeps trying to say his business is in the Brady when it isn't. They renamed N Cincinnati Martin Luther king so you'd think the politically correct activist would now be happy. Finding a virtuos white man from that period who can be claimed to not have been a racist is very difficult. Lincoln himself did not want frees slaves to remain in the states he had a plan to repatriate them to Africa. Where do you draw the lane on political correctness? And FYI unlike Burlington Tate Brady was a founding father of the city of Tulsa. But hey now that the place is popular we can gloss over that little nugget of truth.

AtomicTango

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My mistake on typing Virginia, instead of Vermont, I misread.

I don't know if Burlington is any better, and it wouldn't be my choice if only for the fact that it doesn't even sound very good. I understand we can't go and change every name that someone gets butt hurt about, but I honestly believe this one is different. The fact that he was a founding member of Tulsa amplifies why this matters. Brady wasnt just some dude who was a racist like it was going out of style, he perpetrated heinous acts to gain power and wealth. He used his position of leadership in Tulsa to get away with the exploitation of its citizens. Think what you want, but if you can't see why people get upset about this, that's on you.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guess who pays for a street rename?

Business owners in that area.

Doesn't surprise me if the instigator is doing business in another area and has competitors in that area.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Top Bottom