Firefighters watched a house burn down

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

madmax

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just curious where others think we should draw the line. If firefighters aren't to put out fires because of failure to pay for whatever reason, even if it's just an oversight, is it also the case that:

- hospital staff are to allow people to die on the steps if they can't or haven't paid for hospital services?

- police are to allow murder, rape, robbery, or assaults to continue if the victim hasn't paid or can't pay?

Or do the scenarios above not fit in the same category as a burning house where no one is inside?

Bootleggn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If they put out the fire, then the neighbors may stop paying knowing that they will still be saved anyhow. In the big picture it could mean lack of funds for that particular fire department to stay around.

waltham41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
In fact, my neighbors to the north had a huge grass fire while they were gone to work, I called the volunteer fire dept and they came out and put the fire out..... the flames were at the side of the house charring the siding, if I hadnt called, they very well may have lost their house.

They had not joined the fire dept and were glad to pay the fire depts surcharge for non customers. In fact they thanked me for calling the fire department as I most likely saved their house.

And yes, they paid to become members after that.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just curious where others think we should draw the line. If firefighters aren't to put out fires because of failure to pay for whatever reason, even if it's just an oversight, is it also the case that:

- hospital staff are to allow people to die on the steps if they can't or haven't paid for hospital services?

- police are to allow murder, rape, robbery, or assaults to continue if the victim hasn't paid or can't pay?

Or do the scenarios above not fit in the same category as a burning house where no one is inside?

I agree with your sentiment here. In fact, I'm pretty sure the responses to this thread would be much different if it was a doctor refusing to provide care (even if it was for a non-life threatening illness).

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with your sentiment here. In fact, I'm pretty sure the responses to this thread would be much different if it was a doctor refusing to provide care (even if it was for a non-life threatening illness).

On the contrary. I think people would encourage you to knock an uninsured person in the head and roll him in a ditch.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Your last statement.....

the rest is not a fair comparison. If there had been lives at stake and they refused to go in...then they would be valid points. Emotions and sentiment aside, we are talking about property not life and limb.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

That's some pretty reaching slippery slope IMO.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will offer a couple stories that I think relate to this incident from my own experiences.............

Michael Brown

Kids are .... kids. Adults are supposed to be responsible for their choices. When life is at stake, there is no issue about what should be done. We all jump in, right or wrong.
I support the man's decision not to buy fire protection. Considering that he lived a distance from the FD, at some point one has to decide whether it is worth calling the FD in the first place. If I lived at such location I could decide to save my money and take my chances. If it burns, it means I lost, bad gamble, a lesson learned, my decision, my fault.
As I mentioned earlier, 1/5 of NYC being on food stamps is a pretty good indication that some people will take advantage of the generosity of the rest.
I feel a lot more obligated to support our soldiers, cops and firemen who are working for us, for me, than the person that hoping to get away on the cheap loses a sofa and three chairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom