First batch of wet Tumbling

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minihawk1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Picked up a thumblers tumbler yesterday from 1911kevin (Great guy). Tumbled last night and was really impressed with the results even though I knew they do a good job. Cleanest brass I've owned by far! Just thought I'd share with you guys. I would recommend this to anyone that's willing to spend a little more money.
i75.photobucket.com_albums_i283_mini_hawk1_1664CEC6_9C65_429F_54113d9d35f769becbeaa9779810655e.jpg

i75.photobucket.com_albums_i283_mini_hawk1_7E616B39_8951_41BB_11ca572541c171e46c521f874f84bc63.jpg

minihawk1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Which one is this? And what's the process like? What additives etc? Do you just dump in and then dry?

I got the thumblers tumbler model b high speed model. There are A LOT of videos on YouTube on how this works. As for me since its a 15 pound capacity I did 5lbs of media, half a big zip lock bag of .223, filled water going over the brass about a inch, then added about .45 case full of lemi shine then 2 .45 cases full of dawn. Tumble for 4 hours, rinse out dirty water with clean water then dump in a media separator full of clean water then turn until media sinks to the bottom. Then dump media free brass onto dry towel and move then around then I get a blow dryer and blow dry this for 5-10 minutes. If I forgot anything else someone please fix this.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's about it..
But i use hot hot water to rinse..then lay out on a towel..outsides dry almost instantly..
They will dry overnight in this dry air we have..well foggy now...so may need a little help.
I like this method because of the spotless primer pockets..I dislike any carbon on my brass.

I do not use as much dawn...you may want to check the cleanness of the brass at 2 hours then at 3 hours..
You may be pleasantly surprised ...most of my brass is spotless after 2 hours.

minihawk1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's about it..
But i use hot hot water to rinse..then lay out on a towel..outsides dry almost instantly..
They will dry overnight in this dry air we have..well foggy now...so may need a little help.
I like this method because of the spotless primer pockets..I dislike any carbon on my brass.

I do not use as much dawn...you may want to check the cleanness of the brass at 2 hours then at 3 hours..
You may be pleasantly surprised ...most of my brass is spotless after 2 hours.
Using how water with the dawn will only make more suds unless like you said not using that much. I usually check at the 2 hour mark. The outside and inside of the brass is clean but the primer pocket isn't.

Easier trick for drying, place them on a cookie sheet in the oven. Low temp works fine.
most new ovens take about 30 minutes to preheat no matter what temperature you need it at as to where I use a towel and a blow dryer that takes 10 minutes.

acp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a plastic container that has holes in the bottom. I just shake the wet brass vigorously for a minute to get excess water off. Then I have a small fan mounted on my bench. I put the brass under the fan over night and its bone dry in the morning.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That setup is on my wish list. It may cost a little more to start up but it cleans better and the stainless pins last a lot longer. I wish I had gotten a wet rotary tumbler a few years ago. RCBS used to sell ceramic media for that and I had access to more ceramic media than I could use in a lifetime. Oh well, I still want one. That is some nice looking brass.

I keep thinking that the right kind of bag would allow you to toss a bag full of wet cases into the clothes dryer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom