1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

First day

Discussion in 'Self Defense and Handgun Carry' started by Tanis143, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Tanis143

Tanis143 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Well, as the title says, this was my first day to carry. Didn't do much (in fact I think I cheated a bit, drove my wife to work, went to bass pro, came home, went and picked her up, picked up Texas De Brazil for SB dinner and came home) but still felt like everyone was staring at me. I know that will pass. Now to find the right rig and spare mag holder (hate having anything in my pockets so I was super aware of my spare mag).

dennishoddy likes this.
  2. xseler

xseler Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    It'll soon get to the point that you won't notice it or give it a second thought. You'll know that you're comfortable when the significant other has to ask if you are carrying, because she can't tell the difference.

3. Cowcatcher

Cowcatcher Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Seems like there was a thread around here a year or so ago talking about the first time carrying. Seems like there was something about strolling around Walmart...

dennishoddy and MacFromOK like this.
  4. MacFromOK

MacFromOK Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    This. And assuming you carry regularly, you'll soon become uncomfortable without it.
    :drunk2:

dennishoddy likes this.
  5. xseler

xseler Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    "The Walmart stroll" I do believe they called it.

dennishoddy, MacFromOK and Cowcatcher like this.
  6. Mack45

Mack45 Sharpshooter

Didn’t it involve nachos too?

Cowcatcher and dennishoddy like this.
  7. Gunbuffer

Gunbuffer Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Gettin nachos at Walmart

Cowcatcher and dennishoddy like this.
  8. dennishoddy

dennishoddy Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Yep, breaking your cherry carrying for the first time carrying is like feeling guilty because everybody knows!
    Yet, they don't. People are oblivious to their surroundings for the most part.
    Every one of my jeans has a bare spot in them where the pocket gun is just like the skoal boys with the circle in their back pocket, but its in a pocket holster so it doesn't look like a gun.
    We've had several threads on here about the game of looking around in a restaurant or store to see if you can identify who is carrying.
    Some are real obvious when it 100 degrees outside and they are wearing a jacket.
    You just have to learn how to conceal the best and the folks on this forum have covered it many times and I'm betting more than willing to share one more time.

Tanis143 likes this.
  9. Tanis143

Tanis143 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I used to never carry a knife until I started doing field work for Cox. Now if I leave the house without my knife clipped to my pocket I feel naked. I surmise carrying a firearm will become the same thing. And yes, I've spotted those that are trying to conceal and failing. And those that are open carrying and doing everything to bring attention to it. Trust me, I will not be the latter. The only hard part for me will be that I usually tuck my t-shirts in and will not either have to wear a cover shirt or learn to leave my shirts untucked lol.

dennishoddy likes this.
  10. dennishoddy

dennishoddy Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    You will know when you get in the groove when you get to the Walmart parking lot, and instinctively touch your gun location and it's not there.
    The feeling of being naked will overcome you.