Flu Shot ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I take a drug for psoriasis from the VA that keeps it completely under control and basically non existent.
I was told at the start about 20 years ago that it was dangerous for the liver so consequently, every 6 months they do a complete blood work at the semiannual checkup. In that length of time, every test has came back negative. The DR told me that if I were going to have issues with the drug(or any other taken for long term use) it would have surfaced within the first year but they have to continue the tests.
The plus side of that is that I get a complete blood work up with my semi annual checkup that probably wouldn't happen if not taking that medicine.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When taking a medication prescribed, my SGOT went up to over 600 and SGTP over 2600. Sclera was yellow-I was a sick puppy. TRIdiot would know about the evils of taking medication and subsequent lab values. I was told that 1% of the population have a reaction to the drug as I did and I guess I was the 1%.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
When taking a medication prescribed, my SGOT went up to over 600 and SGTP over 2600. Sclera was yellow-I was a sick puppy. TRIdiot would know about the evils of taking medication and subsequent lab values. I was told that 1% of the population have a reaction to the drug as I did and I guess I was the 1%.

Sure. It can happen.

Of course, how many lives has that same medicine saved or prolonged? Dunno... but get in your car and you can get wiped out, also through no fault of your own. Doesn't mean cars are evil and we should avoid them.

Shiesse happens.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One more thing scratched off the 'to do list'.

Mama and I stopped in at the Homeland close to the house on the way back from south OKC yesterday morning and got our free "regular dose" flu shots....I've been getting one for as long as I can remember but it was her first ever.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
One more thing scratched off the 'to do list'.

Mama and I stopped in at the Homeland close to the house on the way back from south OKC yesterday morning and got our free "regular dose" flu shots....I've been getting one for as long as I can remember but it was her first ever.

Yeah I got mine maybe... a month ago? Maybe 6 weeks. Wife and kid got theirs the week before. We had no ill effects - although now that I think about it, the wife felt a little icky the next day. Which is understandable, immunizations trigger the immune system. So having a little achiness or something for a day or three is kind of expected.

I'm amazed at how divided people are about the potential of a coronavirus vaccine, though. Normal folks who aren't anti-vaxxers are paranoid about this vaccine. Go figure.

I actually had one patient seriously ask me if I thought it would be possible they would put a 'tracking device' in the vaccine. First off, I pointed out I had never heard any indication there was any kind of 'nanotechnology' that allowed miniaturization of such a thing. Then second, I pointed to her smart phone and said, "That thing is 1000 times better for gathering your information than any kind of 'tracking device' they could come up with - and you carry it everywhere you go without fail. It has access to way WAY more info about you than just your location." She kinda nodded and went, "Yeah, I guess so." And put it back in her purse, of course.

:coffee2:

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Meds save lives. If it wasn't for high blood pressure meds, I'm sure I'd be dead. I take a med called Colchrys for Pseudo Gout. (Same as Gout, but caused by calcium rather than Uric Acid). It works great! I can feel a flare-up coming on, pop two tabs, and my pain and swelling is gone within the hour. No side effects. COVID vaccine? Oh yeah, where is the line?

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah I got mine maybe... a month ago? Maybe 6 weeks. Wife and kid got theirs the week before. We had no ill effects - although now that I think about it, the wife felt a little icky the next day. Which is understandable, immunizations trigger the immune system. So having a little achiness or something for a day or three is kind of expected.

I'm amazed at how divided people are about the potential of a coronavirus vaccine, though. Normal folks who aren't anti-vaxxers are paranoid about this vaccine. Go figure.

I actually had one patient seriously ask me if I thought it would be possible they would put a 'tracking device' in the vaccine. First off, I pointed out I had never heard any indication there was any kind of 'nanotechnology' that allowed miniaturization of such a thing. Then second, I pointed to her smart phone and said, "That thing is 1000 times better for gathering your information than any kind of 'tracking device' they could come up with - and you carry it everywhere you go without fail. It has access to way WAY more info about you than just your location." She kinda nodded and went, "Yeah, I guess so." And put it back in her purse, of course.

:coffee2:
Yeah, it's funny what people choose to get concerned about. I remember years and years ago listening to a radio talk show call-in-your-questions guy named Bruce Williams, who was sort of a business/finance guy. A lady called in and made a point of impressing on him how careful she was when she used her credit card at the gas station to never let the attendant out of her sight with her credit card so he couldn't steal the cc number. Williams told her, yeah well he runs your card through a stamper machine, imprints the number on the ticket, and keeps the ticket with your number on it while you drive off with your carefully observed card, so there's that. She had never thought of that.
:pms2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom