Fly fishing in Branson

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkkeith

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im taking the family to Branson for spring break and want to do some fly fishing. Anyone have tips on flies for that time of year and locations that wont be over fished? Thanks.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Im taking the family to Branson for spring break and want to do some fly fishing. Anyone have tips on flies for that time of year and locations that wont be over fished? Thanks.

Well, we go there twice a year, once in the fall and once in the spring.

If you don't have a place booked yet, I would suggest you look at lilleys Landing. Its midway between Branson bridges and the Tablerock dam. Great fishing right off the dock with bait. Its owned by Phil Lilley, that fly fishes the lake/river almost every day, and publishes a fishing report. http://www.lilleyslanding.com/fishing-report. Follow that link, and he will tell you what flies are doing good for what day.
There are a couple of us on this forum that stay there, and have not heard a complaint yet. Be sure to let us know how you did.

For your question, very little of tanneycomo is crowded except for the trophy area right below the dam where one can drive up, park and fish. Gets pretty crowded in there, but the trout are HUGE during the spawning runs.
My suggestion is to go to the boat ramp thats about as far south of the hatchery, and fish down stream, or rent a boat, and go upstream into the trophy area. One might see a dozen boats all day during the week go by. I try to keep an eye out for where the guides stop to let their clients fish, and go there later. So far, my favorite is the island below lookout. Get a map when you get there, and you will find it.

FYI in late 2009 a dead rainbow trout floated into the dock at Lilleys that would have broken the world record had it been alive.

Ozarkangler.com is another source of trout fishing in the area.

jkkeith

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I will let you know. Im a wader so the boat ramp sounds like my spot. Is there any run of the mill nymphs I need or just check with the shop when I get there and buy the home tied flies?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I will let you know. Im a wader so the boat ramp sounds like my spot. Is there any run of the mill nymphs I need or just check with the shop when I get there and buy the home tied flies?

There is a midge hatch that goes on there every day, so that has always been the go-to fly, but recently they have been getting lots of interest in the micro jigs on the fly rod.
My preference is to see what the fly shops have on hand, that are locally tied, as they may work better, but then again, who knows. I read stories all the time about people doing different things, and having sucess.

The fly shop at Lilleys is probably the best place to find different flys, but sometimes the attendants don't fly fish and aren't a great source of info, BUT, Phil Lilley puts out a daily memo that they keep on hand in the shop for what is good.
Another good fly shop is http://www.riverrunoutfitters.com/
They have a really good guide service, and a good fly shop as well. There is another just up the street from river run, but I haven't been in there yet.

Big House

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Spring break could be a wet time of the year. If that is the case, water will be being released from Table Rock. Might want to check into a boat rental. If you do, make sure you understand what happens if you try to anchor. If you are wading, make sure you listen for the horn. Thats the notice for water is about to be released. Ignore that horn and you may not get a second chance.

What weight of fly rod are you using? 4-5 wt's are the norm, but a 6-7 wt can be fun too. I like to throw greens, browns and blacks sculpin patterns with a fast retrieve. Drives them nuts. There is a little fly they call Primerose and pearl that can be hot too.

All three of the links that dennis talked about are great sites. Ozarkanglers.com is a great site for any fishing that you are planning on doing.

jkkeith

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have heard about the horn and quick rise. Thats good advise. If the water is up I will likely go the boat route.

I usually take a 3,5 and 7 with me on trips where I have not fished. You just never know whats gonna be more fun. I have caught big fish with a 3 and its a blast! My goto is the 5 which is what I use in new waters so thats probly what I use most the time there.

What is the CFM of the river normally?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have heard about the horn and quick rise. Thats good advise. If the water is up I will likely go the boat route.

I usually take a 3,5 and 7 with me on trips where I have not fished. You just never know whats gonna be more fun. I have caught big fish with a 3 and its a blast! My goto is the 5 which is what I use in new waters so thats probly what I use most the time there.

What is the CFM of the river normally?

I don't know off the top of my head. Its not much, but when they generate, it depends on how many gates will be opened, and during the rainy season, the water can get quite violent in the narrow areas, BUT, that does open up some new areas above Falls Creek. The trout will swarm the flooded areas looking for insects, etc.

Latest posts

Top Bottom