Foam or fiber insulation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've done some research into SIP (Structural Insulated Panel) for house construction. Very nice idea, high R-value for minimal extra costs.
The big problem I couldn't get comfortable with is the lack of repair-ability.

The inner surface and outer surface is glued together to form the structural wall.
What happens in 20 years when you (or the new owner) finds the SIP roof panel rotten? (roofs leak destroys the outer layer, and maybe the wall too).
There isn't much repair options. ....at least from what I could find.

stevie_d

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not a homeowner, so with a grain of salt.... but... I'd also consider the potential for energy costs to go up a lot over the years. I'm sure they won't go DOWN :)

MDO

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've done some research into SIP (Structural Insulated Panel) for house construction. Very nice idea, high R-value for minimal extra costs.
The big problem I couldn't get comfortable with is the lack of repair-ability.

The inner surface and outer surface is glued together to form the structural wall.
What happens in 20 years when you (or the new owner) finds the SIP roof panel rotten? (roofs leak destroys the outer layer, and maybe the wall too).
There isn't much repair options. ....at least from what I could find.

Thats my big concern and why I wanted to talk with some owners from around here. I figure someone would have some wind damage or something of that nature.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
stevie_d said:
I'm not a homeowner, so with a grain of salt.... but... I'd also consider the potential for energy costs to go up a lot over the years. I'm sure they won't go DOWN :)

Obama said he is going to bankrupt the coal industry during his campaign. He also said that utility rates would necessarily rise when that happens.
It's becoming evident his plan is coming together as the Gestapo style EPA attacks, and forced regulations are making utilities shut down coal burning power plants at a record rate.
Recent news reports of train company's loosing revenue because of less coal being moved over the rail system, will likely result in higher shipping prices as they try to recover lost revenue.

So, your right. Utility costs will never go down, and likely will skyrocket as gas burners take over the base load from coal fired units.

Not to mention the jobs lost.

O

OKDF

SIP is god way to go, but you might also want to look into "Poly-Steel" or "Poly-Block" construction. It looks like a large set of Lego Blocks held together with some plastic ribbing. you build out the desired structure and fill with concrete. I have seen a couple of these houses built so far. The cost is a little more, but the homeowners have been very happy with the houses. here is one of the sites that does it and there are some here in Oklahoma doing it now. http://www.polysteel.com/construction.htm

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We are about to build and our builder actually discouraged the use of foam because it required a $3k dehydrater unit ith the hvac. He stated that full foam would result in mold problems without it due to a regular hvac not having the neccessary water removal ability. He reccomends cellulose over fiber because it has higher r value and they dont have the settling issues that they used to with it.

I just had more fiberglass blown in my attic just this week. The contractor I used said he wouldn't install cellulose in any home for any reason. After a few years it settles and it's just a big fire hazard. While checking into what he was telling me I found this:

It sold me. He used Owens-Corning Atticat in mine.

As for foam, I'd check it out thoroughly. It might be worth the extra cost.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Top Bottom