Foam or fiber insulation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I cant speak for the price but I went through a few open houses by the same builder in the same area and some were foam and some were fiber. The foam houses were significantly cooler, especially in the garages and attics. The houses with foam were cooler in the attic than the fiber homes were in the garage. I would say if you really planned on it being your last home it would probably be worth doing the foam. I would want the foam and might even consider ducting the garage for HVAC.

Speaking of cool attics, if I went with foam, I probably would elect against cathedralization but I would definitely get my HVAC unit within the conditioned space.

oldkar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i built a 2200 sq ft house in piedmont . geo thermal heat / air. wet blown cellulose in walls and 3/4 in. foam over osb on the outside . brick veneer. total electric home. electric bill averaged 89.00 per mo. talk to og+e they can help you calculate . i used foam in my current house . been great so far

Hampton

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sanjuru, those are 1/2 to 1 1/2 ton. Usually for an add on or plant room etc. Ecen if he has a small heat load he will want to distribute the air to the areas where the heat gain is.

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of these mini split heat pumps. I've seen them in action enough to know that I will be using them on my next home. Simple, quiet, and efficient. Of course I don't have a mansion (nor would I ever want one), but even still these system can work with larger homes. But it can get pricey.

Hampton

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let's say a 1,500 sq. ft. home needs 3 tons with normal insulation and 1.5 tons with foam. Even if you use 2 mini splits I don't think it will distribute the air in a manner that would supply comfort in the complete house. Just my opinion.

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In 2010 I built my home that I intend to never move from. We had Agile spray foam all exterior walls and the rafters. Here is what I have noticed and what I can confirm:
1) The HVAC techs stated my units will run more efficient because the temp in the attic is almost same as house. Last year when it was a scorcher I could go up in my attic and it would be around 71 degrees (we keep our house on 69/70).
2) My old house (built in 2006) was about 1000 sqft less, houses facing almost same direction and is 1.5 miles down the road. My electric bills are about $100 cheeper in the new house.
3) Noticeable less dust and bugs in new house.
4) The comment above about moisture, I agreed to pay for the equipment that conditions and exchanges air through the house because of the advice of the HVAC company. Chris with Agile and the people who did the load calculations said I didn't need it. I have about 2600 sqft of hickory flooring so I wanted to do as much as I could to control the elements as they had been described to me. I turned that unit off last summer because it was throwing some codes in the control panel and I actually think the house felt more comfortable.
5) last but not least, my old house had one 3 ton unit. The house had several spots that would never get to temp. It always seemed in winter we had cold spots or in the summer we had hot spots. New house has two 2.5 ton units. Nobody notices spots in the home that have variations in the temps. My home feels like you are in a huge igloo cooler (probably because it is built like one).

Hope this helps.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
How does foam hold up longevity-wise? I realize it hasn't been used widely all that long, but is it going to develop cracks and fissures in 20 years that make it useless (well... less advantageous) at that time?

I had thought about using the spray-in plastic made from old recycled soda bottles. Supposedly it is very thin, like 1/4-1/2", but has a high R-rating. Anyone looked into that stuff?

Viper16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I sell Ductless units...Samsung at the moment. www.quietside.com If you all have any questions, I would be more than happy to help you all out. I have them running in my office and they truly are great, efficient, a/c systems. I'm in Tulsa BTW.

Latest posts

Top Bottom