Foam or fiber insulation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I sell Ductless units...Samsung at the moment. www.quietside.com If you all have any questions, I would be more than happy to help you all out. I have them running in my office and they truly are great, efficient, a/c systems. I'm in Tulsa BTW.

Cool checking the site out now. I haven't seen the Samsungs in action yet, but I've heard good things.

MDO

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This could not be more false! I am a NAHB Certified Green Building Professional and can say with certainty that your builder has no clue what he is talking about.

I can give you a ton on info on this but in a nutshell, foam is the way to go if you can afford the upfront costs. It has a payback period of 3-5 yrs depending on the project.

For a fee, you can also get your home certified too. We did this on a home just under 5000 sq ft and got a guarantee that the utility bills would not exceed $160 per month for 2 yrs or else they would pay it. Guess what - they never exceeded that amount.

Foam insulation, properly installed, is the best thing you can do energy wise for your new home.

Period.

Do you do any SIPS or that style of constructed homes.

10Seconds

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you do any SIPS or that style of constructed homes.

Sure, I would be happy to, what do you have in mind? They are still not too common in this area, so the down side is that some trades will overcharge as they learn the system at our expense.

Might want to check Local Codes....some dont allow....doesnt meet ANSI flame spread/smoke develop..unless you put a sprinkler system in. ;)

If you are in OK its legal where you are. Some jurisdictions do require a fire retardant coat to be sprayed over the attic area.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are in OK its legal where you are. Some jurisdictions do require a fire retardant coat to be sprayed over the attic area.
Correct. Keep MSDS sheet for the inspectors,theyll want to see them...Good Luck ,and keep those bldgs coming

O

OKDF

You need to do some more research on the Foam. There are now many spray foam insulation's on the market. A Soy based green energy foam, a Foam made with a Fire Retardant additive, breathable and non-breathable types so you may or may not need a moisture/vapor barrier. The Cost benefit over fiberglass is one aspect to look at, but many of the spray in foams will seal any draft openings fully where the fiberglass does not. You also have the added benefit of not having a vapor barrier needed with some of the foams and they can be mold and fungus resistant.

MDO

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sure, I would be happy to, what do you have in mind? They are still not too common in this area, so the down side is that some trades will overcharge as they learn the system at our expense.

Not sure exactly yet, we are still in the process of buying the property. I have a friend that has a SIPS home and im prettys sold on it. With that being said, he is the only guy i know that has one, so I dont have alot of input. His builder came up from Texas I believe. I wasnt wanting to see more homes in person.

patrickcudd

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We are about to build and our builder actually discouraged the use of foam because it required a $3k dehydrater unit ith the hvac. He stated that full foam would result in mold problems without it due to a regular hvac not having the neccessary water removal ability. He reccomends cellulose over fiber because it has higher r value and they dont have the settling issues that they used to with it.

Run away! He obviously knows nothing about building science. He is dead WRONG!

Latest posts

Top Bottom