food prices are going up

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This has been talked about on some more fringe group pages for a while, now the msm has started talking about it as well. Obviously prices continue to go up as an economy grows but I think the next couple of years we are really going to be seeing the pinch in the grocery store because of whats happening in California. This article explains why and how you can help yourself. Its a long article so I only posted a small part.

http://www.standeyo.com/NEWS/14_Food_Water/140223.CA.drought-food.impact.html

How to Beat Coming Killer Food Shortages

50% of America's fruits and veggies are grown in California and the Feds
are destroying their crops. What this means for you.

PREFACE: Only a small space is required to grow most fruits and veggies for a family. So Stan and I will scamper over to our local garden center this week and for additional organic compost to augment our Super Soil and get those growies growing! By the end of Summer our own compost piles should be ready to sustain the gardens hereafter. It just takes a little while to get there.

Sunday, we planned out this year's garden – including more than usual. Definitely making time for canning this year. Had the equipment, not the time. Since warmth – and dry (drat!) – are coming early this year to the West, Southwest and Southeast, it's important to get our garden ready in February and seedlings sprouted and sunk in the ground by late March instead of late April – a full month ahead of normal. The most time-consuming aspect will getting the Super Soil pre-warmed as described in Garden Gold, which will only require a couple hours, so plants get a head start and beat this Summer's killing heat.

These NOAA maps show the probability of temperatures exceeding the norm, so roughly 1/3 of the Country can get their veggies and fruits in early. Unfortunately, as 2014 progresses, a bunch of us will be sweating bullets living in tank tops and shorts.

Click on the different NOAA 3-month outlooks (under More POE Outlooks) on the left to see how temps are revving up hotter and earlier this year. It's weird that after this blisteringly bitter cold winter, we have to think in terms of excessive heat, but that's what extreme climate change is about and something Stan and I have warned would descend since 1995. Now that it's here, everyone must act with fore-thought and planning. With what's coming, every day counts. —Holly

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am really gonna concentrate on my woefully lacking gardening skills this year. I'm good in the animal husbandry department, so I've always kinda used that as my "excuse" ... nobody's good at everything, right?? My grandma, who WAS good at everything, God rest her soul, would kick my @ss ... :nolike:

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Food is definitely going up in price. Signficantly.

FWIW I no longer buy food at wallymart. I'm thankful that we have Crest Foods in OKC. They seem to be able to beat the pants off of wallymart every day for almost every food item. Additionally they always have plenty of checkers and sackers and will even carry it out to your car for you.

Sams? Some prices are good, some are just as high as every other regular grocery store around.

You really need to know your prices and then buy right. For example, not to disparage Homeland, but to me they have the highest prices on the same items on a regular basis. If sale ad is good, I'll go to Homeland and stock up. Otherwise Crest gets 98% of my food dollars. I'm glad I live close to a Crest.

And yes, try to grow what you can and preserve it.

Good luck to you all. This inflation sucks.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree about Homeland, prices are high on almost everything. Watch Uptown's and Spouts sales. Sometimes you can get a few really good deals if they are close enough to another stop you need to make.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This has gone on forever. Kommifornika has an issue with drought, Florida, Tx and the other states don't.

Florida has a late freeze, the others don't.

A lot of our produce comes from Mexico and South America.

Latest posts

Top Bottom