Food Savers???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone ever use one for keeping venison?? How well did it work any reviews/suggestions.

I've decided that from now on I'm going to process my own deer and that everytime I get a deer I'm going to take the $100 I would give to the processor and use it to buy what I need to process my own.

POSITIVE DISCONTENT

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It works great. We even season the meat with what we are going to use (easy on the salt because it tends to dry it out). black and white pepper, garlic and onion. let it set in the fridge for a day then freeze away....

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have one that is a few years old and a wal mart special. My only complaint is, if you have very much moisture it won't finish the vacuum and seal. To resolve this we have to use quiet a bit of extra bag or try drying the end of the bag after it starts pulling moisture.

POSITIVE DISCONTENT

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
We have one that is a few years old and a wal mart special. My only complaint is, if you have very much moisture it won't finish the vacuum and seal. To resolve this we have to use quiet a bit of extra bag or try drying the end of the bag after it starts pulling moisture.

We Had to upgrade ours to. Would only do cheese and veggies after the first elk and mule deer.

300WSM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Foodsaver brand, i think it was 79 at target last year, it works great, but you have to make sure you cut your bags big enough. We have done 3 elk last year and 4 deer this year and it still works great. for deer, the 8 inch bags work the best. I would definately recommend this. My parents always wrapped theirs in butcher paper, but im not as good at that. The only issue i have is that the bags are kind of hard to stack in the freezer, they sometimes fall out since they are kind of round and the plastic is slick.

POSITIVE DISCONTENT

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Could you give more information on the model you have. I was thinking some of the higher end food savers might be better. I know of a butcher shop that using a food saver but haven't asked what they have.

Ours is a Seal a Meal by Rival. It doen't have the model number on it but it is the Mid price one that Wally World has.

jmiller45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My friend has a Food Saver brand, it was one of the more expensive ones about 3 or 4 years ago. We have process somewhere between 30 to 40 deer and used it everytime. It has an extended vacuum and if you do just right you can seal it up air tight. It's also great for the ground meat. If you pack it all in the bottom of the bag and then seal it, you can flaten it out and it stacks great in the freezer.

My wife just bought me a cheap version of one, the brand is a Deni. I actually just got done processing the buck I shot this weekend and tried it. It's a piece of crap! I would recomment spending a little extra and buying a nice one. It will last a long time and save you a lot of money. I've killed 4 deer this year. That would have cost me at least $400 to have them processed. I'll be taking my cut up meat to my friends tomorrow and using his!

Of course if you have a friend like I do, then you don't need to buy one!!!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Here is the trick. put the meat on a cookie sheet, and partially freeze it, or completely freeze it, and then seal it. The moisture doesn't mess up the seal that way:D

Latest posts

Top Bottom